Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn vs Rutgers-Newark ($$)  (Read 1551 times)

horang

• View Profile
Brooklyn vs Rutgers-Newark ($$)
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:49:52 AM »
Hi, the topic subject says its all. More specifically, I'm from NJ so I'll be getting in-state tuition from Rutgers-Newark and nothing from Brooklyn. I want to obviously work somewhere in NYC or North Jersey post-grad (possibly at a government position but also open to firms). From my research, it seems like job placement percentages are similar for both schools.

Any opinions? Thank you.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn vs Rutgers-Newark ($$)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:19:21 AM »
Yep, placement is very similar.  Go with Rutgers.

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:19:24 AM »
I think Brooklyn costs almost double than what Rutgers instate tuition does.  Plus, with the economy the way it is, public universities are going to get more and more competitive.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:55:15 PM »
Rutgers-N, hands down. The schools place about the same in New York, and the New Jersey job market isn't bad either, where the only competition is Seton Hall, and it appears to me that NJ market prefers Rutgers over SH, albeit marginally. My opinion is generally that Rutgers is underrated and Brooklyn overrated.

NJ is also damn easy to get residency, so you're pretty much guaranteed instate tuition from what I understand. * I know realize you were already from NJ, but I am leaving this anecdote in for anyone else considering the same issue. NJ is supposedly instate-friendly.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

espanol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 04:11:32 AM »
Rutgers-N, hands down. The schools place about the same in New York, and the New Jersey job market isn't bad either, where the only competition is Seton Hall, and it appears to me that NJ market prefers Rutgers over SH, albeit marginally. My opinion is generally that Rutgers is underrated and Brooklyn overrated.

NJ is also damn easy to get residency, so you're pretty much guaranteed instate tuition from what I understand. * I know realize you were already from NJ, but I am leaving this anecdote in for anyone else considering the same issue. NJ is supposedly instate-friendly.

Yes Rutgers does offer very lax requirements to acquire "in-state" residency status.  After speaking with a counselor, she informed me (I am currently a California resident) that I can get "in-state" status by providing proof of a 12-month lease in New Jersey.  This has placed Rutgers very high on my final decision in schools.  Currently debating over Rutgers and Chicago-Kent (and I am visiting Kent this week!).  Also, you would be saving some money in housing costs also (although this is mostly assumption, being that you're a New Jersey resident already, you probably have a better idea).

manyquestionz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
I agree with many of you, but I noticed that Rutgers-Newark's ranking in U.S. News went down 10 spots (from #77 to #87) while Brooklyn's went up to #61. I know that U.S. News rankings shouldn't be the deciding factor in choosing a school, but why such a downfall for RU? Should the OP still choose RU over BLS?

Viking Quest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:25:29 AM »
With respect to Brooklyn's rankings, you should be skeptical, as their rankings is based on incorrect LSAT/GPA data:

http://lawschoolheadlines.com/re-brooklyn-gaming-the-rankings/

US News is supposed to be commenting on this at any time, I am not sure if that will mean they will formally lower their ranking or not. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
With respect to Brooklyn's rankings, you should be skeptical, as their rankings is based on incorrect LSAT/GPA data:

http://lawschoolheadlines.com/re-brooklyn-gaming-the-rankings/

US News is supposed to be commenting on this at any time, I am not sure if that will mean they will formally lower their ranking or not. 

What's the deal, dude?  Why are you so stuck on this non-story?  You have no idea whether the slight change in median LSAT (163 to 162) would affect the rankings.

In any case, to the OP, I agree with all of the other posters.  Given the price difference, Rutgers is a no-brainer.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

manyquestionz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
Do you guys think graduating from Rutgers can get a biglaw job in Nyc? You rarely see any RU alums but do see a good amount of BLS in Nyc.

horang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:54:06 PM »
thanks all for your responses. majority of you guys seem to like Rutgers over BLS. ill probably choose rutgers too.