Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU - On or Off Campus Housing?  (Read 2016 times)

lamronba

• View Profile
NYU - On or Off Campus Housing?
« on: April 02, 2009, 03:25:32 AM »
Can anyone offer an opinion on NYU's on-campus housing?  More importantly, how does it stack up with other options in the same price range?

I'm getting the sense that NYU's housing is all about convenience (physically and socially), but despite all of that, people are split between on and off-campus housing.
172/3.72

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU - On or Off Campus Housing?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »
Not addressing NYU directly, but there has been a lot of news lately regarding the dropping rents in NYC.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »
If you're familiar with NYC and/or can scrounge up some roommates, you could probably do better off-campus from what I understand. But keep in mind that NYU's rates include utilities + cable/internet/phone.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:36:37 PM »
http://www.tregny.com/manhattan_rental_market_report#mean_manhattan

It's falling, but not as dramatically as one might have expected.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:57:04 PM »
I definitely recommend off-campus housing.  Actually, have you considered apartments uptown...like around 115, 116 street?  If you're worried that this would be too far away from your classes, you may want to consider enrolling at CLS instead. 

Did I mention that housing is fantastic up here?   ;D
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »
Don't listen to that filthy propaganda, come live with us cool people in Tribeca.

lamronba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »
haha, i thought about columbia, but it's just so FAR.  half an hour to get to anything is just such a pain.  (also...columbia decided to put me on "reserve"...but that has nothing to do with it.  :'( )  i thought about commuting from other parts of the city, but i'm not sure i'm prepared for such a long commute.

for the people in the area, did you find your apartments through a broker or craigslist?  i'm thinking i'll go off-campus, but i'm still undecided on the best method.
172/3.72

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »
haha, i thought about columbia, but it's just so FAR.  half an hour to get to anything is just such a pain.  (also...columbia decided to put me on "reserve"...but that has nothing to do with it.  :'( )  i thought about commuting from other parts of the city, but i'm not sure i'm prepared for such a long commute.

for the people in the area, did you find your apartments through a broker or craigslist?  i'm thinking i'll go off-campus, but i'm still undecided on the best method.

BooO!!!  I haven't felt hindered by our location (I truly love it, in fact), but I can understand that, I suppose.  I guess I'll see you at Dean's Cup next year!

LSN

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »
In all fairness, there isn't anything wrong with Morningside... there just isn't anything "right" about it either.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »
In all fairness, there isn't anything wrong with Morningside... there just isn't anything "right" about it either.

Haha, this is also very incorrect.

It's fine, though, we can agree to disagree.

LSN