Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 1165 times)

Johnster

• View Profile
Need Advice
« on: April 01, 2009, 06:18:36 PM »
I have an unpaid externship lined up with a big law firm this summer that is 20 hours/week.  In fact, since I get 4 credits for it, it's basically like I have to pay to work there (though I guess I can take 1 less class my 3L year or something).  I figure working at a V50 firm might lead to some good networking and lead to a clerkship my 2L summer. 

I was planning on doing a random part-time job (even non-legal) this summer in addition to get some $$.  However, now the DOJ wants to interview me for a 20 hour/week gig over the summer.  If I did this, I would basically be making no money. 

My question is this: Would having DOJ on my resume in addition to the externship help me at all?  I've heard that firms don't really care so long as you did _something_ so are unlikely to be impressed just because you did multiple things.  Would it be wise to take DOJ over the externship given that I wouldn't have to pay for summer credits?   

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
Big law firms have unpaid externships?  Interesting.

lclaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:31:17 PM »
I also have an internship lined up this summer with the US attorney's office, but I have also signed up for our externship law firm program as my second choice.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:10:05 PM »
Yeah, lots of firms have internships.  They are usually through your school.  I think often times partners are adjunct faculty at the school and the administration gets them to set something up.