Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: State AG's office vs. federal judicial internship - any thoughts?  (Read 5727 times)

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: State AG's office vs. federal judicial internship - any thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
do you think it reflects well on you if you intern for coa judge, even if 1L summer does not matter that much?
is it really harder to get a coa internship? (i've heard very few people getting a coa internship, except maybe 1 of my peers who will intern for a 'senior status judge')

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »
Considering there is about 30 district court internships available for every single CoA internship*, yes it makes a difference.

The experience you get as a 1L is probably not very valuable in either case, but main reason for working 1L summer is to impress employers on OCI for 2L, where it starts getting srs business.

*Number just taken from what our career services office told us. They are epic *&^%, so I put very little faith in this number being accurate, but the fact that there are tons more DCs than CoAs makes sense.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 01:09:03 AM »
A friend told me that her classmate got a coa internship (2d circuit). apparently she's from a T20, and does not have very good first-semester grades. they knew her grades and still took her (she's very conscientious student, though)

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »
A friend told me that her classmate got a coa internship (2d circuit). apparently she's from a T20, and does not have very good first-semester grades. they knew her grades and still took her (she's very conscientious student, though)

It's interesting you say that, because I only know 1 guy who will be with COA.  The rest of us are district and bankruptcy.  The curious thing is that we're a T4, and this guy isn't even in the top 33% of class.  I figure either a. the senior status judges don't even care if you're able to breathe or b. he's connected out the wazoo.  The lowest rank I know for someone with a federal judge otherwise is 10%, maybe 1 person in the top 15%. 
I'm still going to go with what my profs and random legal contacts have said which is 1L summer with a federal judge is about the best thing you can do when you don't go to some elite school.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
the girl I talked about who is interning with the 2d circuit ... she's workign with an active status judge (the one who worked with a "senior" judge is my friend, this woman is my friend's friend)

but I suppose these judges got at least a handful of applications and the applicants could not be worse than those of federal district judges. They can only be better.