Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: State AG's office vs. federal judicial internship - any thoughts?  (Read 5726 times)

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
Neither position confirmed, but both want to interview me. Both positions are in the same state and expenses are not material. Anyone have any thoughts as to which position would provide better experience?

Moreover, I'm worried about etiquette. I have an interview scheduled with the AG on Friday but have yet to set a date with the judge. Obviously I want to keep both doors open, and I've heard that if the judge offers me a position it's very damaging to say no. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to schedule an interview with the judge only to turn around and cancel. I'm sure many people out there are faced with this conundrum; thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Cornell 2011

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: State AG's office vs. federal judicial internship - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
Neither position confirmed, but both want to interview me. Both positions are in the same state and expenses are not material. Anyone have any thoughts as to which position would provide better experience?

Moreover, I'm worried about etiquette. I have an interview scheduled with the AG on Friday but have yet to set a date with the judge. Obviously I want to keep both doors open, and I've heard that if the judge offers me a position it's very damaging to say no. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to schedule an interview with the judge only to turn around and cancel. I'm sure many people out there are faced with this conundrum; thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's a good conundrum.  Go with the federal judicial internship.  At least I would.  I'm working for a judge this summer and had to turn down a few interviews because our school does not allow you to say no to a judicial externship or have any other legal position.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »
Thanks.
Cornell 2011

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:39:14 PM »
Everyone at our school would say federal judge in a heartbeat.  Good luck getting the gig.  Heads up, if it's like Southern District of Texas, you'll need to bring your own laptop and make sure to get yourself authorized for lexus/wl summer usage b/c the judges tend to not have machines/log-ons.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »
If appellate, I'd take the judge. If district court, I'd take AG.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 02:22:46 AM »
If appellate, I'd take the judge. If district court, I'd take AG.

Could you perhaps give a rationale for this? 
Proving there is redemption in this world...

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:24:18 AM »
Well. Appellate courts are high prestige, district courts not so much. The experience you'd get is probably about the same, just about resume fillers.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
Well. Appellate courts are high prestige, district courts not so much. The experience you'd get is probably about the same, just about resume fillers.

you mean court of appeals for xx circuit is very prestigious? more prestigious than district courts? I thought they are the same.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »

you mean court of appeals for xx circuit is very prestigious? more prestigious than district courts? I thought they are the same.

Courts of Appeals are generally considered more prestigious, but it varies according to what Circuit and what District.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »
District courts are the federal equivalent of state trial courts. Court of Appeals for XX Circuit is the equivalent of the state appellate court.

Like this:
Trial level:
State: Trial court (Superior Court in MA, Supreme Court, confusingly, in NY, but your general, "Law and Order" trial court.)
Federal: District Court (e.g. District Court for the Southern District of NY is the Manhattan federal trial court; District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania is the Philadelphia-and-environs federal trial court)

Appellate level:
State: court of appeals (name varies sometimes, though)
Federal: Court of Appeals for the XX Circuit (aka just "The First Circuit" or "5th Circuit"--New England and much of the South, respectively)

Supreme Court level:
State: State Supreme Court (e.g. Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, Pennsylvania Supreme Court--confusingly, in NY it's called the New York Court of Appeals)
Federal: US Supreme Court

Federal district courts are seen as less prestigious because they still do trials, and not schmancy appellate work (except in rare cases like habeas). CoA (circuit courts) are more prestigious. But a really good fed district court, like the Southern District of New York, is probably just as prestigious as one of the more overlooked Circuit Courts, like the 10th Circuit or something (ID, CO, some other Rocky Mountain states, I think). It's generally an east coast bias thing, like so much else. 
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.