Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: taft law school  (Read 21219 times)

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: taft law school
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 07:59:39 AM »
Agree with you 100% on Taft.  It is what it is.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
Very good post by the Taft student. The reality is at an ABA law school you are mainly self taught as well and there is no homework or personal feedback.

Upon graduation you may be able to obtain a public defender position in some of the smaller Califirnia Counties and maybe DA in a rural California county such as Siskiyous to gain experience.

Good luck on the exam and stay positive

Steveandlanada

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 08:08:30 PM »
I have been researching D.L. school and also am highly considering TAFT.  Can anyone tell me who is allowed to proctor the exams?  Has anyone done any more research into any city, county or state govt's that might hire in California with this degree from TAFT?  I am happy to see that everyone that has posted has overall had very positive remarks about the school.  Thanks for any information everyone.

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »
Very good post by the Taft student. The reality is at an ABA law school you are mainly self taught as well and there is no homework or personal feedback.

Upon graduation you may be able to obtain a public defender position in some of the smaller Califirnia Counties and maybe DA in a rural California county such as Siskiyous to gain experience.

This is just plain untrue

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
Taft is not accredited - avoid it like the plague.  In fact, the ABA does not accredit any distance learning programs...
no longer true

and taft is accredited, just not "CBE Accredited" it is "DETC Accredited and CBE approved"

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
Has anyone done any more research into any city, county or state govt's that might hire in California with this degree from TAFT? 

I don't think there is necessarily a definitive list of which govt agencies might hire a DL grad, but you'd probably have better luck at some than at others.

For example, where I live in Los Angeles County it would be nearly impossible for a DL grad to get hired by any govt office. That's due to the fact that we have large numbers of ABA grads (many from well respected schools) competing for those jobs.

In a rural county in northern or central California, there may not be the stiff competition and a DL grad may have a better shot. Even then, however, I would caution that many lawyers are highly skeptical of DL degrees. It may be unfair, but it's true nonetheless.

It's conceivable that a DL grad who gains some experience first as a solo practitioner or small firm lawyer might get hired as a PD, DA, county counsel, etc. in a rural county. There definitely are examples of DL grads in those positions, but the numbers are very low. My guess is they probably brought some experience to the table.

DL can be the right choice for the right student, but it's important to understand the potential limitations before embarking on the journey. Just do your due diligence, have realistic goals, and you'll be pointing yourself in the right direction.   

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »

Which part is untrue?

If you're referring to the notion of self-study, that was definitely my experience at an ABA school. We were pretty much left on our own to figure out what mattered and what didn't, had no homework, got minimal feedback. Lectures often consisted of the prof waxing on about some theoretical aspect of the law which was the focus of their academic research, and had nothing to do with our exams or the bar exam.

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »

Which part is untrue?

If you're referring to the notion of self-study, that was definitely my experience at an ABA school. We were pretty much left on our own to figure out what mattered and what didn't, had no homework, got minimal feedback. Lectures often consisted of the prof waxing on about some theoretical aspect of the law which was the focus of their academic research, and had nothing to do with our exams or the bar exam.
In person Socratic Method requires the student to have done the reading (thus homework) and paper classes obviously had papers that had to be done (homework) and all you have to do is raise your hand or meet after class to get teacher involvement. Heck, even shooting an email (all you will get from an online school) will normally get you feedback from ABA too.

It may not be perfect, but its better than the online "alternative" is my point

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
It may not be perfect, but its better than the online "alternative" is my point

I don't disagree with that. I would never argue that online is a better/equivalent option. I've taken online courses, and there is a big difference between the traditional classroom experience vs online. If a person has the option of attending a brick and mortar ABA school, that is almost always a better option in my opinion.

I was just remembering back to 1L and how lost I often felt, and that the profs didn't really seem to care. I'm sure there is variation among schools, however. Mine came with a heavy dose of "you're on your own".

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »
For those in that situation there are (I am told) 1L help courses from Kaplan and other companies that could probably help with that (as much as one would get from an online school anyways)

Me, I just got lucky and studied with classmates who had similar schedules. We don't all get that lucky though.