Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: taft law school  (Read 17014 times)

Opie58

Re: taft law school
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »
I disagree with the negative comments about Taft Law School. I currently attend and love it.

Are you doing their structured or independent format?

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
I'm doing the JDAT. All of their programs are structured. In my program I interact with my classmates on discussion boards. My classmates are from all over the country. It seems like most of my classmates have their Masters. There are a couple PHDs. I myself have 2 Masters. But I literally just started Jan 2 and I am very happy with everything that I have learned so far in this small amount of time.

They provide many resources and the website the students use is state of the art. This is coming from someone that has worked on large government and fortune 50 websites. There are videos, study resources, ebooks, and your courses content.

As far as practicing law, my background is in design, web development and information systems security and I plan on getting into Intellectual Property.

The 2 instructors that I've had so far, 1 is an attorney and the other has their JD. They are active on the discussion board and post great insightful and useful information a couple days a week. They answer many student questions.

As far as the law, you have to study the law and cases to learn it. This is what I'm learning. I used to think you looked up a law and you do a couple more things and that's that. I was way wrong and there is so much more to it. Our legal system is like no other and it's beautiful thing. But I have been reading a lot. I really enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone.

A lot of people say that a Non ABA degree isn't worth it but I disagree. You can practice in California or Wisconsin and most states you can apply for a waiver. As far as biglaw jobs...I'm not interested. I think a more strategic opportunity would be to start your own company. I'm fortunate to already have a sports doctor as a web client and since letting him know that I started law school I have been assisting him with his patents.

I was also able to get financial aid which is great and I included my trip to take the baby bar in my aid so that is covered. It also covers books. I think it is a perfect fit for what I am trying to do and that is to continue to work for myself and have knowledge of the law to protect me in my efforts. I mean if you have a skill and just the JD and ambition, the possibilities are endless. Go for it. Trust your gut.

Opie58

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
Structured was a bad word choice; I meant telecommunication or independant, I suspect you're doing it telecom.

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »
Structured was a bad word choice; I meant telecommunication or independant, I suspect you're doing it telecom.

Hey!

I'm doing Telecommunications. I started in January and just finished intro to law. I learned how to brief a case, learned a lot of new words: shepardize, stare decisis, statutes, burden of proof, et cetera. The classes change throughout the year and it is organized in weeks. Last week was intro to law and legal writing. This week and next week is Torts. Then the following is I believe contracts.

I like it. If you have an interest in law and hold a Bachelors degree, go for it.

jjohnny51

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »

Yes I have experience with Taft Law School formerly Witkin School of Law at Taft University.  As you know, the ABA does not accredit any online law school, but in the state of California where Taft Law School is located, if one passes the "Baby Bar" after the first year, you can continue on to the second and third years and eventually sit for the California Bar Exam.  I found the school to be terrific, but that the posting regulations to be a bit misconstrued.  If you miss nine posts in a 48 week period you are out!  They go out of their way to work with you and have some very outstanding lawyers that work with you.  The schedule is intense and you move around quite a bit between sections (Contracts, Torts, of course the introduction which is quite easy, Essays, and Criminal Law the first year)  Whatever you do - don't get sick or have any personal problems in your life because it will affect your standing at the school.  It happened to me.  I had a heart attack and was told that I could take whatever time I needed to complete the courses to take the  mid-terms, but the administration and the professors are not on the same page.  I was late on several assignments and could have caught up, but a few professors would not cooperate.  Some are outright nasty.  I attempted to withdraw based on medical reasons and was convinced to stay on and take the time i needed. I had several problems logging on and did not get response for Charles Torres and was dismissed because they said I missed the nine posts.  The people are actually quite wonderful; especially on the admin side.  The Dean even teaches some of the courses.  I thought this was my dream school and it all fell apart.  They kept a good portion of the money even though I did not get to the mid-terms which is when you get any refunds due you.  It was easy to get financial aide, but I also learned that anyone in the state of California an sit for the Baby Bar, pass it, and sit for the bar without going to any law school.  I think it is why they wanted me not to withdraw, so they could keep the money.  In all fairness, I first started before they had the blackboard and actually like it better, but after the switch things changed.  Their accreditation is real or you would no be able to get financial aide.  That is the main key to knowing if a school is accredited.  If the school accepts financial aide (FAFSA and government guaranteed student loans, they are legit), and just because the ABA has not yet come around to accrediting the top online schools does not dismiss the fact that the school is a very good law school.  However, it is 48 weeks straight with no breaks ever accept to study for the baby bar and the school lets you come there and study with the attorneys on staff and they have monthly discussions on specific topics.  There have been many students that have gone on to practice law, and from what I understand they are now accredited in Colorado as well.  It is tough going through 48 non stop weeks.  Everyone needs a break from time to time.  In fact, I am thinking about having a serious discussion about why I was dismissed and the promise made to me, that I have in an email and seeing if I can get back in.  I spent several thousand dollars on books and that really bothers me.  Also, once you have practiced law in California for whatever the number of years is, you can sit for the bar in another state, and you can also petition any state after completion of the program to sit for the bar in that state.  No guarantees, but it has been done.  I think I got caught posting in the lounge and they did not count toward my regular posts.  One good thing is you can call or email any time and they get back to you right away and do work with you.  Like any college you have to follow rules and file certain papers to get access to Lexus Nexis, be accepted to take the bar, apply for the baby bar, and try to get into a group that is serious about studying.  You have to figure on at least 20 hours a week reading, writing essays, posts, and going over the material.  I was not able to get into a group and it was much harder on me.  I have Taft Law School shirts, and a hat, coffee mug - all of which I was proud of.  It was great to say I was a true law student and all my family live in California.  If you are thinking about a law school that is affordable and willing to put in the time - Taft is great, but you have to stay on top of your game.  The Professors do post the answers to the weekly assignments which take a good amount of time.  The amount of reading is intense, but it would be in a regular brick and mortar school as well.  I recommend Taft Law school if you can put in the time.  Where else are you going to be able to go to law school for 6000.00 per year and eventually sit for the bar exam in California.  You can also just get your JD or LLM.  If you don't want to take the bar but have a Juris Doctorate, you can do that too.  Again, I love the people in the admin departments, but some of the profs were not reasonable as I am sure they have heard many excuses in the past.  The first time I withdrew they did not charge me to return and start over.   I did pay the second time and thought it to be quite reasonable.  Your credit is not an issue as it was the first time around having to apply for a personal loan.  The program is tough, very tough and you have to be seriously motivated to make it through, but if that is what you want, I thought it was better than Lexington, Concord and several others.  There is also Novus Law School online for getting your JD.  You can look up a list of all the states and their requirements for sitting for the bar.  Best wishes.

John

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »
Not sure why you would recommend Novus, they are bogus and not registered with California.  Very doubtful a Novus degree would qualify anyone for a bar exam anywhere.

The Novus site is full of official looking garbage but no mention of EVEN ONE sucker graduate who ever passed a bar anywhere.

Taft on the other hand is a real law school with real praticing attorneys who graduated:

http://www.taftu.edu/tls/honoredgrads.htm

reformer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
John,
May I suggest some structure in your writing?
How can somebody read such along paragraph and make any sense out of it?

Yes I have experience with Taft Law School formerly Witkin School of Law at Taft University.  As you know, the ABA does not accredit any online law school, but in the state of California where Taft Law School is located, if one passes the "Baby Bar" after

John

jennid1234

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
Taft like Concord is a good way to achieve if your ambition is to become a lawyer.  I'm at Concord, and in June I will be halfway through my third year. It's a lot of work, especially if you have a full time job.  Loving this year because I passed the baby bar in October.  I took the baby bar twice and barely passed the second time, but studying for that test while doing second year classes and working was incredibly hard - no vacation last year - but went to a Raider game before the October test to just clear my mind.  This year was a shocker, 6 classes to start and now that I passed my elective, dropping to 5 classes is a little easier. I am looking forward to only 4 classes in July as our legal research final is in June.  My progress was slow at first but now I'm maintaining an agressive schedule of studying every chance I can.  I still love the law, evidence is a great class this year, professional responsibility has a great instructor.  Legal analysis is hard and my corporations class - EASY EASY - since I work in the corporate group at a law firm (LARGE law firm).  I have no regrets leaving it in two years to practice in CALI;)  Will be close to family, this goal, although not completed, was well worth the work!

bigdaddyju34

• View Profile
    • Email
Taft Law School beginning in Sept
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
I have decided to attend Taft beginning this fall. I am 100% dedicated to attending law school. Honestly, I would rather attend ABA accredited school because of the options it would open. At this time in my life it is not an option due to distance, money and being self employed. I am enrolled in the JDAT (attorney track) and plan on taking the FYLSX and then eventually the CA state bar. I would like to communicate with currently enrolled students or former graduates of online law schools. I would like any feedback you would like to give.

DeltaBravoKS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »
Good luck, Big Daddy.  Please keep us posted on your experience.