Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: taft law school  (Read 19920 times)

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: taft law school
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
Good luck, Big Daddy.  Please keep us posted on your experience.

Putting in the time is the key. Also don't expect high grades from Taft just give it 100% effort.  The GPA is irrelevant; I graduated with under 3.0 and passed the Cal Bar on the first go.

bigdaddyju34

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
Just wanted to take a quick moment and post an update. So I started Taft in August 2013. I began in their Intro to Law class which was a very basic understanding of Law. I enjoyed the class and did very well. Now we have begun the substantive classes. We began with two weeks of Torts class and the Intentional Torts. At Taft you study one subject for one week or possibly two weeks and some weeks you have two classes, the second class is always Legal Writing. The discussion boards are great within the Taft online system. It could compare to consulting with your classmates in a brick and mortar school, however I do not believe the quality of current students even closely compares with that of a brick and mortar school. There is ALOT of reading and case briefing, which I expected. I am not sure if switching from class to class each week is a good idea, but I am only two months in so what do I know? It is hard giving 110% to Torts and then dropping that at the drop of a hat and going into Criminal Law or Contracts. Some people believe that they all tie together and so far they have but it is hard. I will say that I can already tell that it is NO CAKE WALK. It is apparent that there are some students that will not make it, but there are some very bright individuals as well. I guess with no formal admission test like the LSAT you will get students with all types of educational experiences. All in all, I am very happy with my decision but I will say that it would not be a form of study for people with no discipline. You are given assignments and expected to complete them all on your own or if you have formed a study group you can work with them. The professors will be happy to work with you and post model responses to the questions but you are expected to learn the law on your own and make time to complete all assignments. So far I am spending about 25-30 hours a week on my studies. I could always spend more time and it would be very beneficial, however I do not believe that you could spend any less time and get an efficient education enough to pass the hardest bar exam in the county.  I will continue to post my experiences on this discussion board, but overall, I am very pleased and I look forward to my studies each and every day.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 02:22:38 AM »
Good to hear you are enjoying Taft as for the intentional torts and learning differnet topics that is what you will be expected to do when the bar comes around. The California bar consists of 13 subjects Torts, Contracts, Civil Procedure, Property, Con-Law, Evidence, Community Property, Remedies, Wills & Trusts, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure and Business Associations/Corporations. Any of those 13 subjects can be tested during the three day exam, but only 6 will be so learning to cram different in now is good practice.

I imagine you are correct ABA students as a whole are probably higher caliber than those at Taft, but all that really matters is what you do. I know the first few months can be overwhelming, but stay focused and you will be fine.

Also I think a common mistake 1L's make is overthinking and making topics more complicated than they need to be. I was guilty of this first year, but improved as time went on.

Also some good sites to use are ecasebriefs.com to get a grasp on cases and also use CALI lessons to start working on practice problems.

Additionally continue using this site it is a great resource for current law students.

mqureshi8

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 01:24:37 AM »
Has anyone graduated from any of these non-accredited online law Schools from California i.e (Taft, Concord) and is earning decent salary as an Attorney?  If so, how many years did it take in order to establish ones credentials after passing the California bar and work solo or elsewhere?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
Graduated from Taft and made over 100K as a solo practice attorney my first full year out in 1993.  But if it's a salary you crave, you will earn $8700 at the mall selling shoes.  In other words if you can't do it on your own, look elsewhere for law school.  No one hires DL grads.

mqureshi8

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
Thanks for the info,  so your advise is to work as a solo practicing Attorney in Cali, because no one will hire Bar accepted DL graduate.  By the way, which mall offers a 90,000 salary for selling shoes at the mall.  I would love to work at the mall selling shoes making that much.  Someone should inform Al Bundy of the potential in such a career.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »
I think he said $8700, not $90,000.

I've met several DL law grads here in California. They have all struck me as exceptionally motivated, sharp individuals. I think they have to be, even more so than the average lawyer, because the majority of firms and government offices simply won't hire a DL grad. It's probably unfair and snobby, but that's just the way it is.

If you are a HIGHLY motivated, disciplined individual then DL may be the way to go as long as you take the time to inform yourself of any potential limitations. Ask yourself what you hope to accomplish with your degree, because as Jonlevy said you will almost certainly work as a solo practitioner. After you build up several years of experience you may be able to join a small/mid sized firm. Depending on what you want to do, that may or may not be an acceptable career for you.

You will likely be limited to CA practice, as the vast majority of states will not allow non-ABA grads to sit for the bar.

I think DL can be the right choice for the right student, but you've go to make that critical self-assessment: do you have the discipline to make it happen, and are you realistic about your post grad options? If so, then you can have a rewarding career.

mqureshi8

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 04:56:51 AM »
Thanks for the advise.  I believe anyone who intends to enroll in a distant learning law degree understands that the self discipline and dedication must be present in order to complete the degree, even though the job opportunities will be limited due to it not being a traditional degree through an ABA accredited school.  However, those who inquire about attending would like to know that there's at minimum the opportunity to earn a living, even if it's self employment taking on cases until you receive the experience to prove yourself.  Just as online undergrad degrees were viewed in a limited manner as compared to traditional degrees through B&M schools, I believe one day the negative stigma associated with DL degrees in the law field will also be lifted and viewed as somewhat more equivalent similar to JD degrees through institutions.  I appreciate your input. 

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »
If you are willing to take the cases other attorney's spurn and learn as you earn, DL is for you.  Workers Comp, Disability, Immigration and contract PD can all be entered with no or minimum experience provided one gets additional training first.  Check what fields are needed in the locality you plan to practice in by asking attorneys what sort of cases they reject. You don't even need much of an office anymore and California does not require malpractice insurance - so barriers to solo practice are non existent. If solo practice seems too daunting; I'd rethink the DL option.  In theory any law firm can hire you but they won't unless they are your uncle and you will be frozen out of most government jobs because they usually require a ABA or California accredited degree. All online degrees are viewed suspiciously by employers and will contune to be so for many years to come. 

bigdaddyju34

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »
So here we are beginning 2014. This is the year I will take the FYLSX in October. I am currently attending Taft and I thoroughly enjoy my studies. As I said before it is very demanding and you must be very self disciplined. Nobody is going to hold your hand and they are not going to wait for you to understand the material before they move on. There are mass amounts of reading and personal homework assignments that are not sent in for grading. I complete all of the personal review assignments even though they do not get turned in, frankly because I want to learn the material and pass the FYLSX on my first try. I am dedicated to understanding the material and learning how to apply the law. We do have weekly homework assignments that must be turned in for a grade. From my understanding this is not like a typically B&M law school. They say in the B&M law schools you have a mid-term and final and that is your class grade. Our grades at Taft come from homework, discussions with other classmates, mid-term, creating outlines and case briefs, and a final. While you are not limited to just one or two grades, you do have to keep up with alot of material and be disciplined enough to do all of it. While I believe that Taft will prepare you well for the exam if you do all that is assigned, I do not believe you would be well prepared if you only completed the assigned homework that is turned in for a grade.

My grades have been very good on my essay assignments and hypotheticals. But we do have multiple choice assignments from time to time and I seem to struggle with the multiple choice questions. I have a FINZ  strategies and tactics for the Multistate method book that has tons of MC questions and I do complete them, however I still do not do very well on the MC questions. This is an area that I need more work, I can also use more work on the hypo's and essays but my grades have suffered from the MC questions.

Overall, I am pleased with Taft and the education they can provide, even though it is mainly self teaching, they can provide some valuable feedback. It is what you make of it. As stated before, no employer is going to hire a DL graduate so be prepared for sole practice. That is what I want to do anyway, so it is of no bother to me. I would like to get a job as a prosecutor for a few years to gain the experience in criminal law, but that is highly doubtful with a DL degree. Maybe by the time I pass the CBX it could be discussed but I highly doubt it. I may end up applying to the state I live in to take the bar exam and if denied, I may try an appeal but that is not something I would prefer or recommend. But I have all the time in the world to fight these people so it does not matter to me if I win or if I lose. After passing the CBX I can practice on my own in CA.

Good luck to all that decide to attend Taft or any other DL school. Lets take a stand and defund the ABA. They want to defund ObamaCare, which I agree, but I want to defund the monopoly called the ABA! Just a little rant before I end my post. Thanks for listening.