Law School Discussion

taft law school

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
Re: taft law school
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2015, 12:07:27 PM »
LP-

I didn't say you were senile. What I have said is that your various claims don't make sense when viewed together. For example, I don't think you understand the difference between net and gross (or you glossed over it). That's one point of distinction that I brought up in the very first response.  Then you make statements like "100k was not big money in 1993[.]" (so when you said "six figures," you literally meant 100k?). Just to refresh your recollection- that amount of money, today, is more that $165,000.

So, yes, it is a lot. It's more than the starting salary of a BigLaw associate in a major metropolitan market. Admittedly, no benefits, but that's a lot of money for someone straight out of law school.

Your rates don't make sense (350/hr). Your vague assertions about civil rights cases in your first year don't add up. I have no doubt that you succeeded (it's not like I haven't figured out who you are). I just think you misremembered a few details about your first year of practice. For example, perhaps you worked your butt off, realized money from 1992 into 1993 (so really, 1993's income was for 18 months), didn't think about the full difference between net and gross (even minimal expenses implies some expenses), and so on. 

" Point is, a DL grad can be successful and make a living but most likely as a solo."

Sure. It's hard. Especially because law school doesn't do much to teach practice skills. DL, even less so. Congratulations on your success.

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »
OK Loki, now let's get back to helping people on Avvo.

"I don't mean sell it. I mean have an income from it. This kind is called the Lucky Cat. Its owner finds four silver groschen in his pocket every morning."

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
There's no way you'd get more than $4000 approved in fee agreements, especially if the cases were as little work as you claim. Furthermore, the fee agreements would have to be approved by a U.S. ALJ, a fact you failed to mention and your post suggests you were not aware.

Finally, I'm not sure who the barb about getting a license to practice is aimed at, but everyone here has held themselves out to be a licensed attorney.

I am sure you are right, 4K seems OK for a SSD case to me but I really haven't done any for a long time.  But these are great cases for a beginner, attorneys turn their noses up at them and the clients really do need help.  I always went the extra mile too and helped my clients get aid while they sweated out the long wait for a reconsideration or hearing.

No offense intended GH but I would not assume everyone here is an attorney otherwise they would know new lawyers don't know crap and need to get smart real fast about how to practice by attending court and hitting the practice books.

$4,000 seems ok? That was the statutory maximum at the time of claimed SSI practice.

As far as assuming, no offense yourself but I'll repeat what I said: everyone here has, in some form or another, asserted that they are licensed to practice law. But that doesn't really change the substantive nature of this conversation.

I find it hard to believe there's a town so small it doesn't have enough lawyers yet it also somehow has enough folks to provide a steady stream of SSI cases (before boomers got old), civil rights cases and court appointed referrals for a newly minted lawyer to make $100k. It literally and figuratively doesn't add up. This kind of "advice" is dangerous given how relatively little prospective law school applicants know.

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2015, 01:11:50 PM »
"I find it hard to believe there's a town so small it doesn't have enough lawyers yet it also somehow has enough folks to provide a steady stream of SSI cases (before boomers got old), civil rights cases and court appointed referrals for a newly minted lawyer to make $100k. It literally and figuratively doesn't add up. This kind of "advice" is dangerous given how relatively little prospective law school applicants know."

Not advice.  Just what worked for me for a while.  Of course as Citylaw might tell you, small California counties notoriously also have their dangers.  In 5 years I was there, I got punched by an opposing party, spat on, had a  confused client show up with a rifle at the front door on a weekend, got accused falsely of several felonies, received numerous threats and was finally warned to get out of town.  Myself and a lot of attorneys there either had conceal carry, kept a loaded gun in the desk or just plain out in the open.  As they used to say, there is no law north of  the _______ river.

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »
California is a very unique state and there are countless counties with hundreds of thousands of people in them without an ABA school within 200 miles. Humboldt, San Joaquin, Fresno, Siskiyou, King, Butte, Calaveras to name a few.

This unique setup is likely why CBA schools have done well. In San Joaquin County it's CBA school San Joaquin College of Law does quite well.  Cal-Northern does quite well in Butte County and Monterrey College of Law does well in Monterrey and Empire College of Law does well in Santa Rosa.

That is the thing with California there are jobs for California Attorneys, but in places nobody wants to live.

As to being overly-optimistic I don't think I ever encouraged anyone to go to law school. All I ever say is you "can" succeed. I "can" have six pack abs if I exercised more and ate less as could most people. However, instead of going to the gym last night I went out drinking and I just ate a huge burrito. Nobody forced me to do those things and I could easily have not done them, but I choose the easier route.

This is the same with attending law school. You "can" finish as Valedictorian, but will you dig deep every-night for three years, attend every class, never check your e-mail during class, go to professor office hours, brief every case and do every single practice problem imaginable? Probably not and even if you do all that you probably won't be #1, but odds are you will no do any of those things.

We all tell ourselves we will do this.  BowFlex sells the ripped body image to people and if you buy one and use it all the time you would probably get in great shape, but nobody does it.  Everybody wants to learn a language and tries half-ass although they can "learn" one. I am certain everyone involved in this conversation "can" be doing something more productive, but for whatever reason we seem to enjoy arguing with each other anonymously over the internet.

So if you attend Taft or any law school be realistic.

End of rant.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »
"I am certain everyone involved in this conversation "can" be doing something more productive, but for whatever reason we seem to enjoy arguing with each other anonymously over the internet."

I find it soothing. I rant here, get it out of my system, and it keeps me from being overly mean in my summary judgment motions.

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2015, 03:19:52 PM »
I find it soothing as well it is nice to be able to rant about whatever the hell you want on the internet and get in random arguments that will not result in any real repercussion occasionally I even learn something.

However, for these reasons I hope anyone actually considering law school takes anonymous internet poster advice with a major grain of salt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFBDn5PiL00

« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2015, 10:33:05 PM »
First full year in practice (1993) I netted over 100K and had to pay about 50K in taxes and penalties which taught me a lesson that hard work does not necessarily get rewarded.  FYI, the first six months (1992), I lost money while I waited for payments to come through.  But 100K pretax was not big money in 1993 and even less so now.  Solos also don't have benefits and have to pay self employment tax.  So why on earth are you implying me a liar and/or senile? Also, there is more to be a lawyer than just arguing.   Point is, a DL grad can be successful and make a living but most likely as a solo.
Lulz DL is trying to teach me what being a lawyer is..............
and I don't know how much of this is BS (and don't care) but its the lack of Taft affiliation that I call BS on.
And unsure how unemployment insurance came into discussion, but like I said, I don't care. Tell me more I guess? And Senile? Odd to just come up out of nowhere. I take it you are accused of that often?

« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2015, 07:45:55 AM »
"its the lack of Taft affiliation that I call BS on. "

I told you I am an alumni of Taft.  So correspondence law (Taft is technically a correspondence law school) worked for me.  I am also on the faculty of two regionally accredited universities in the their graduate programs where I instruct online public administration and international law.  And yes I have the appropriate credentials to teach graduate courses.  So you could say I am a proponent of distance learning, especially in law where I think it is proven it works in a fashion given sub-par students and if ABA accredited would work a lot better.  But I am not a shill for Taft and would have said so if I was.

« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
"its the lack of Taft affiliation that I call BS on. "

I told you I am an alumni of Taft.  So correspondence law (Taft is technically a correspondence law school) worked for me.  I am also on the faculty of two regionally accredited universities in the their graduate programs where I instruct online public administration and international law.  And yes I have the appropriate credentials to teach graduate courses.  So you could say I am a proponent of distance learning, especially in law where I think it is proven it works in a fashion given sub-par students and if ABA accredited would work a lot better.  But I am not a shill for Taft and would have said so if I was.
To be fair, "if you were" you NEVER "would have said so"
-The rest, meh, maybe I'm just a cynic. I dunno. I agree with skeletor that this a good place to shoot the sheet though. It always ponders the brain when people say stuff like "If you were X, you'd be doing something else" um...........whut? Doesn't matter what the X is either I've noticed. Odd how the human brain works in people.
Is $160,000 For A Solo Out of Law School Realistic or Rare? - See more at: http://myshingle.com/2011/06/articles/solo-out-of-law-school/is-160000-for-a-solo-out-of-law-school-realistic-or-rare/#sthash.E1r5F2IS.dpuf

Rare. The answer is rare. And if a non ABA grad, near impossible.
I finally went to that link.