Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U-Chicago EA? GULC EA?  (Read 4628 times)

transfereetobe

• View Profile
U-Chicago EA? GULC EA?
« on: March 31, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
I'm surprised I haven't seen more chatter about UC's EA for transfers this year...?

Curious as to what you guys think - if you get in on EA to either of these schools, how much would you have to bomb second semester to get your acceptance rescinded? 

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U-Chicago EA? GULC EA?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »
Chicago doesn't do EA. 

As long as you pass all your courses, GULC (or the other few EA schools) won't revoke your acceptance. 

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
It actually looks like they do now, must be new this year...
From their website:

Transfer applicants may apply through our Early Decision or Regular Decision program.

Early Decision

Early Decision transfer applicants must ensure that we have received their application and all supporting materials, including a law school transcript containing all first-year, first-semester grades and the Law School Information Form, by April 15, 2009.  Second semester law school grades are not required to apply under the Early Decision program.  Early Decision transfer applicants will receive a decision from the Law School in early May.  Early Decision acceptances are binding on the applicant, which means that, if admitted, you will commit to matriculating at the Law School and will withdraw all other transfer applications at other law schools.  If you apply Early Decision, you may not apply to any other law school through a binding early decision or early action program.

All applicants accepted under the Early Decision program will be required to submit a law school transcript containing their final first-year law school grades.  All offers of admission made under the Early Decision transfer program are contingent upon the Law School's receipt of a final first-year law school transcript demonstrating consistent performance and successful completion of one full year of study at an ABA-accredited law school.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »
yeah, they do.  I applied (as a fuc*ing hailmary).  I think NU has been eating up a lot of the top transfer students heading to Chicago, so this is U of C's attempt to get in the transfer game.  This is pure speculation, however.

see http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/12/aba-journal-northwestern-.html

Either way, as a transfer student, maybe it is good to have a bit of tugging going on between the 2 schools.  Maybe this helps our chances...
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:34:23 PM »
Wow, first I'm hearing about it (just saw it over at TLS too).

Even if I could get all my materials in by the 15th, I wouldn't apply Early Decision.  What's the point?  Since they might rescind if I get "inconsistent" (what the hell does that mean?) 2nd semester grades, I don't want to be out of luck for other EA programs or withdraw my GULC application.

If it was non-binding + seat deposit like GULC, I'd do it.   

Great school though, and I'm planning on applying regular decision.

RonSantoRules

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »
I applied (as a fuc*ing hailmary).

Hopefully you channeled your inner Doug Flutie into the application. Hail Mary FTW!

EDIT: I just realized I sounded like an a-hole when I typed the above. I am a dumbass. I meant it as a good luck to you, but it didn't come out that way. My bad.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »
Wow, first I'm hearing about it (just saw it over at TLS too).

Even if I could get all my materials in by the 15th, I wouldn't apply Early Decision.  What's the point?  Since they might rescind if I get "inconsistent" (what the hell does that mean?) 2nd semester grades, I don't want to be out of luck for other EA programs or withdraw my GULC application.

If it was non-binding + seat deposit like GULC, I'd do it.   

Great school though, and I'm planning on applying regular decision.

I'm not sure what it is you want to do.  However, U of C is an incredible school and is ranked quite a bit higher than GULC.  Perhaps if you live in DC or want to go into politics GULC might be more attractive.  But U of C will open more doors for biglaw, academia, and prestigious clerkships.  Finally, I would guess the GULC may rescind an offer if your 2nd semester grades are poor, too.  Considering how much you post, it seems like you take your education pretty seriously so I doubt that will happen anyways.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 10:46:41 PM »
I'm not sure what it is you want to do.  However, U of C is an incredible school and is ranked quite a bit higher than GULC.  Perhaps if you live in DC or want to go into politics GULC might be more attractive.  But U of C will open more doors for biglaw, academia, and prestigious clerkships.  Finally, I would guess the GULC may rescind an offer if your 2nd semester grades are poor, too.  Considering how much you post, it seems like you take your education pretty seriously so I doubt that will happen anyways.

He probably wants to be able to make plans and not have an acceptance pulled out from under him because of a bad test.  GULC expects a deposit within a few weeks and once that is in, they will not revoke an acceptance. 

The drawbacks to the UofC EA is that, I believe, if you are accepted you cannot apply to other schools as a transfer.  If you could have sent other applications to other schools, but think you are headed to Chicago only to find your grades less than what you expected, you may not be transferring anywhere.

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:48:01 PM »
Correct, upgrade.

Do we even know what's competitive for UChi ED? btw, OP, don't call it EA.

BigLaw is all I care about (maybe a clerkship beforehand).  There's no question UChi is better than GULC -- most of the T-14 is better than GULC, and I plan on applying to 6 other T-14s regular decision, including Chicago and Northwestern.

UChi ED also takes away the opportunity to apply to better schools in the T-14.

Did you apply GULC EA, deadfish?

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 10:53:45 PM »
Nevermind, I remembered that you are - you've posted in the GULC EA thread.