Law School Discussion

Is working for BIGLAW immoral? Why or why not?

Is working for BIGLAW immoral? Why or why not?
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »
Huge salaries to enable, defend, help and comfort the forces of darkness...  is it evil or just awesome?

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: Is working for BIGLAW immoral? Why or why not?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
You're making big assumptions about the forces of darkness. While I agree that big business is often pretty screwed up, and some of them (haliburton, we're looking at you) really ARE evil, most of them are just going along trying to make a product and sell it, and it's really pretty neutral.

Also, most work done in BIGLAW is for inter-business transactions that don't involve the little guy at all. It's not like you're going to wake up everymorning to defend companies for toxic waste dumping. most of it is stuff like IP liscensing, big purchases, taxes and the like.

Just chose your firm as carefully as you can, and be clear about your morals going in. If you don't want to sue the little old granny for downloading the latest 50 cent album, then just don't. It's not like the firm owns you or anything.

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:04:49 PM »
Wow...just when I thought topics could get no dumber...

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »
Huge salaries to enable, defend, help and comfort the forces of darkness...  is it evil or just awesome?

This is very abstract, but we are going to go with "no." As reported by Above The Law, and our blog (http://blackbooklegal.blogspot.com/2009/03/good-samaritan-effect.html), many firms have decided to give back in light of the current economic crisis. This is the antithesis of "evil."

-The Blackbook Legal Blog (www.blackbooklegal.com)

bl825

• There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »
Lol.

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »
should I NOT have given a serious response?

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »
should I NOT have given a serious response?

LOL, I usually do to trolls.  I guess I've just reached my tipping point.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:15:18 PM »
Of course it is.  Anybody who says otherwise is full of crap. 

Look:  we are in a profession in which we get paid to make arguments, whether those arguments are morally right or wrong.  We make those arguments for the people who pay us.  Dishonest people make more money than honest people, that's just life in America.  Dishonest people pay us better than honest people.  We are the slimy, repulsive and disgusting handmaidens to the forces of darkness.

Just deal with it people. You didn't choose to become social workers or famine relief workers.  Stop lying to yourselves. You're not convincing any one.

bl825

• There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »
There are people who get ahead by being dishonest, but that does not necessarily mean that all or even most people who are financially successful are dishonest.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
There are people who get ahead by being dishonest, but that does not necessarily mean that all or even most people who are financially successful are dishonest.

A and B may simultaneously be true even if A does not necessarily imply B. 

Anyway, we're not talking about "people" who get ahead... we're talking about lawyers who get ahead.  You don't become a fabulously wealthy lawyer by defending the innocent, poor and vulnerable from the guilty, rich and powerful.  You become a fabulously wealthy lawyer by doing the exact opposite.