Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12  (Read 5019 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
My cousin is a 3L at SLU, and he said he's terrified about finding a job. Take this with a grain of salt, however, as my aunt seems to think he's barely scraping by.

This is the credited response.

Your cousin is not alone.  Many, if not most, of his classmates are in the same boat. 

I think you're too dumb to understand the implied meaning of "barely scraping by."

I think you're too dumb to understand that outside the top 25%-50%, it matters very little. With your sub 3.0 GPA, you belong in Drexel or some expensive private school.

Mulliganstew

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 01:10:28 AM »

I think you're too dumb to understand that outside the top 25%-50%, it matters very little. With your sub 3.0 GPA, you belong in Drexel or some expensive private school.

JDU troll I presume.

lawnewbie09

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »
Can we bring this back to some helpful sharing of information so those of us trying to decide can get some positives and negatives on SLU?  The sincere comments are appreciated. After visiting, did you feel the school was basically all HEALTH LAW? and my concern is what if we change our direction and health law is not our area that we want to pursue, then how is SLU?   

Any help here would be great, and try to keep the thread from being critical of any of us spending money to have a law career ....we want to make this a better world.

so tell me everything you can about st louis and the school .....thanks

sapphireowl

• Some are content at the bottom, i prefer the top.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »
Can we bring this back to some helpful sharing of information so those of us trying to decide can get some positives and negatives on SLU?  The sincere comments are appreciated. After visiting, did you feel the school was basically all HEALTH LAW? and my concern is what if we change our direction and health law is not our area that we want to pursue, then how is SLU?   

Any help here would be great, and try to keep the thread from being critical of any of us spending money to have a law career ....we want to make this a better world.

so tell me everything you can about st louis and the school .....thanks
\

I agree, but sometimes the trolls do come..and we have to spend time shooing them away.Anyway, the school to me did not seem all health law..as i said earlier,they had a very good corporate professor and had a good corporate law program international and domestic focusing on transactions, commercial real estate, acquisitions, and mergers. Plus the University has a pretty good public interest law clinic in a stand alone facility down the street.

As for St. Louis, it is best to visit it before August when you are moving up. The city is nice but it is an old city with lots of old architecture. The city seems to have a policy of preserving old building and restoring and renovating them instead of bulldozing down history which is nice because that way of thinking is so rare among major American Cities. So it is best to take a visit to the city if you are from a megalopolis like NY or such for it takes some getting used to.

The St. Louis Lambert International Airport is the only airport that I have ever been to that has a parking lot directly in front of the airport entrance..so flying out of ST. Louis is a breeze..the Airport never gets too congested. There are many different ethnic and historically significant neighborhoods in St. Louis like in the other more northern cities of Chicago, NYC and Milwaukee. From what the 1L's, 2L's and 3L's tell me, it doesn't snow too much, but it is really cold throughout the Winter.Anything else you wanna know just ask. And contract, stop pestering people. We are looking at SLU because we like the school..regardless of perceived rank..i was accepted to Wash U but i like SLU and their willingness to help their community.

lawnewbie09

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 09:50:14 AM »
on a side note, a friend from WUSL said the best professor she has ever had was from SLU law....haha

I was at SLU one day, and not at an admitted day, so it probably was a bad decision on my part not to stay another day to explore the school more. I thought the campus was great, the lounge and library at SLU was great and the big window sitting over the lawns and fountains was a beautiful rest in a day.  Cheap housing is all around and you get tons included,some fireplaces, washer/dryer etc all for a great great price.

I need more about the school itself though so anything you can tell me in detail would be great...or I will have to call them again.... ..about the health institute and actually what they really do and how that helps a law student?  where the jobs are after graduating from there?

And, my concern is, if I chose to want to practice in Boston say, how will chosing SLU help me ...or would it be better to go to a law school in Boston now even though its lower on the rankings?

so send me anything you can think of

sapphireowl

• Some are content at the bottom, i prefer the top.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »
on a side note, a friend from WUSL said the best professor she has ever had was from SLU law....haha

I was at SLU one day, and not at an admitted day, so it probably was a bad decision on my part not to stay another day to explore the school more. I thought the campus was great, the lounge and library at SLU was great and the big window sitting over the lawns and fountains was a beautiful rest in a day.  Cheap housing is all around and you get tons included,some fireplaces, washer/dryer etc all for a great great price.

I need more about the school itself though so anything you can tell me in detail would be great...or I will have to call them again.... ..about the health institute and actually what they really do and how that helps a law student?  where the jobs are after graduating from there?

And, my concern is, if I chose to want to practice in Boston say, how will chosing SLU help me ...or would it be better to go to a law school in Boston now even though its lower on the rankings?

so send me anything you can think of

The career Services office representative talked about that very subject..trying to get a job out of region.She said honestly that SLU places the best within the Law school's region.she said that if a person wanted to practice on the East Coast that they should go to the East Coast School.As for the East coast school being ranked lower it depends on how much..i mean, at least the people in Boston would know a decent amount about the school you graduated from if you decided to go to school in the Boston area. People who go to SLU are looking to stay in St. Louis..or at least work there for a while until the resume, experience and reputation grows..so you have to keep that in mind. As for the Health Law program, They place all over the East..even D.C. But that program is the exception since the program is ranked #1 in the Nation.I know that if you decide to go into health law you can get a dual degree a J.D. with a Masters in Public Health.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »
Saphire, we're cool in all, but if you got into WashU I would take that and run!  I don't say this condescendingly considering i'm attending a T3, and I think your own opinions on school ultimately matter.  SLU is good, but WUSTL is on a whole different level in and out of STL.  Its extra $$ since you got a scholarship at SLU, so if you are debt averse than that is one thing.  But in all honestly, if you can afford it, WashU is a far better option.  They offer all the positives that SLU does (don't most law schools have public interest clinics anyways?) and the umph to set you miles ahead of SLU grads in the job search.

Just my .02 cents!  Atleast tour the campus.  Take it from an STL'er who is too poor to attend SLU and not smart enough to go to WashU... WashU > SLU. :-X

lawnewbie09

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
Can you share what impressed you about SLU?  and what did you find that was a stronger positive over one of your other choices?  What did you learn or observe that might help us decide on SLU over our other choices.

thanks for anything you can share with all of us

lawnewbie09

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »
pjex,

thanks for you observations.  will you be concentrating in health law and if so, how was the reception in that area with the local firms?  What is your view on the grade curve at SLU?   And, if your not concentrating in health law, what is your view on the other areas at SLU?  my fear, is, what if, I change my area of interest while there and not sure what are their other strengths there?  Would you agree that I would be at a disadvantage without a car or could i manage within the are without one?

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 02:54:51 PM »
Can you share what impressed you about SLU?  and what did you find that was a stronger positive over one of your other choices?  What did you learn or observe that might help us decide on SLU over our other choices.

thanks for anything you can share with all of us

I would not recommend people make the decision I have, however, unless they have really compelling reasons.  Turning down a higher ranked school is a very personal decision, and just because I think it will work for me doesn't mean that it will, nor that it would work for anyone else. 

I think thats a great point.  It is personal wherever you decide to go.  If you are unsure about staying  in STL, then I think WashU would be a clear choice if cost wasn't a huge issue.  If you are an STL groupie, by all means SLU is great. :-)