Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12  (Read 4708 times)

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 11:14:26 PM »
i turned down a $24k per year scholarship. 

i think anything over $20k/year is too much for this school...

this is my completely relative personal opinion and should not necessarily apply to anyone else.

thinkinoutloud

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »
Hey all, I'm happy to see this thread...I live in St. Louis currently and am weighing my options in joining the class of '12 at SLU.  The St Louis area has it's pro's and cons: it has to be the biggest small town you have ever been to.  Most of the people here are from here, grew up here, and have the same friends they did in the 5th grade...that being said, it i a relaxed place and the people are generally nice.

I attended the AS Weekend and thought it was great. The faculty seemed extremely accessible and despite the less than stellar facilities I got a very positive vibe.  The Health Law program has a national reputation and could be a good ticket to DC if that is what you are interested in.  I have heard good things about the International/Comparative Law Certificate as well.  Overall, I am excite about SLU, but I don't have to foot the entire $34k...so that helps.  If you want to know more about STL or where to live, don't hesitate to holla at me!

sapphireowl

• Some are content at the bottom, i prefer the top.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 11:11:49 AM »
I couldnt make the admitted day, so I just did the tour and sat in a class and based on what you commented here, I missed a lot.  Did they mention about when you can do clinics?  Did they mention anything about how they grade in the course; meaning is there only one exam or other papers or anything that is considered for a grade?    I am having a hard time deciding on St louis and a school in Boston...and I have one week left to decide.  So anything you can share from your admitted day would be great.  Also, anybody from St.Louis seeing this ...can I live in St. Louis without a car?  Thanks

The professors primarily discussed their teaching philosophies and what subjects in law they're experts on. There is a really good business law professor there...at least that is my opinion of him..i do a pretty good job of spotting difficult but great professors and i believe that he is one of them. And no, you cannot live in St. Louis without a car because it is a wide Metropolitan area spread across three counties.  If you are price conscious when it comes to Apartments, you might want to live more than three of four blocks away from the law school since the apts surrounding the Law school are very expensive but not that great, except the Coronado which is a 1920's era Luxury hotel that was renovated into a apartment building, whose rooms are relatively great compared to the other apts around the university..they are pricey, but the good thing is that all utilities are included (internet, Electricity Heat..etc.). I liked the facilities..they were nicer than most schools i've attended..i did go to state school so maybe that's why.

Also, the Law school does get involved in the community-- a LOT ..more so than the Infamous WASH U...for the ranking pundits, i applied there too and will turn down an offer of acceptance from them if i get one, and go to SLU. I believe that there is more to  choosing the right law schools than what other people think about them..it matters what I think about them. I mean, I will be the one going there anyway..not the guys from US news or the many trolls on LSD.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »
IMO, 34k for this school is too much.  I would have attended had I received a scholarship.

That being said, St Louis (love it to death) is very clique-ish.  When I got on at a bank, the first interview question they asked is 'Where did you go to highschool?'  People from STL stay in STL and things that may seem stupid like where you went to school, family name, etc. can matter in some circles.  This is the reason that SLU places so well in the area.  It has the reputation locally based on word of mouth and contacts and is familiar.  However, I worry to an extent how many of these SLU grads are getting awesome jobs in STL because of their family connections and not education or work done by career services.

Another word of advice, lawyers have told me that if you are out of state and attend SLU you are looked upon less favorably than STL natives who attend SLU.  Its the mindset of 'us vs. them' and employers worry less about you jetting off to another part of the country anytime.  Again, people from STL stay in STL.

In conclusion, go to SLU if you can afford it and want to stay in STL.  If you have any doubt about the cost or staying in the region, walk away.  Admitted Students weekend said that they place a lot of grads in WashDC and Chicago -- that is misleading, as most of the grads placed there are in Health Law.  If you aren't health law, good luck getting in there!

sapphireowl

• Some are content at the bottom, i prefer the top.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »
IMO, 34k for this school is too much.  I would have attended had I received a scholarship.

That being said, St Louis (love it to death) is very clique-ish.  When I got on at a bank, the first interview question they asked is 'Where did you go to highschool?'  People from STL stay in STL and things that may seem stupid like where you went to school, family name, etc. can matter in some circles.  This is the reason that SLU places so well in the area.  It has the reputation locally based on word of mouth and contacts and is familiar.  However, I worry to an extent how many of these SLU grads are getting awesome jobs in STL because of their family connections and not education or work done by career services.

Another word of advice, lawyers have told me that if you are out of state and attend SLU you are looked upon less favorably than STL natives who attend SLU.  Its the mindset of 'us vs. them' and employers worry less about you jetting off to another part of the country anytime.  Again, people from STL stay in STL.

In conclusion, go to SLU if you can afford it and want to stay in STL.  If you have any doubt about the cost or staying in the region, walk away.  Admitted Students weekend said that they place a lot of grads in WashDC and Chicago -- that is misleading, as most of the grads placed there are in Health Law.  If you aren't health law, good luck getting in there!

I agree with this..maybe it's from talking with you about it so much...but what you said does warrant attention.I've heard about the cliqish nature of the community from many people who live in STL..even the Taxi Cab driver who drove me to the airport...So, yes, i am sure that many firms will probably ask SLU student if they are looking to stay in STL...as for me i will..i like the vibe in STL and coming from megalopolis South Florida, i can appreciate a more laid back environment..plus, i am a secret rams and cardinals fan.lol...plus i like snow.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
You'll be just fine!  Congrats and let me know how it goes, I will be on the other end of the state  ;D  Who knows, I might end up trying to transfer there myself.

Mulliganstew

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »
My cousin is a 3L at SLU, and he said he's terrified about finding a job. Take this with a grain of salt, however, as my aunt seems to think he's barely scraping by.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
Hey all, I'm happy to see this thread...I live in St. Louis currently and am weighing my options in joining the class of '12 at SLU.  The St Louis area has it's pro's and cons: it has to be the biggest small town you have ever been to.  Most of the people here are from here, grew up here, and have the same friends they did in the 5th grade...that being said, it i a relaxed place and the people are generally nice.

I attended the AS Weekend and thought it was great. The faculty seemed extremely accessible and despite the less than stellar facilities I got a very positive vibe.  The Health Law program has a national reputation and could be a good ticket to DC if that is what you are interested in.  I have heard good things about the International/Comparative Law Certificate as well.  Overall, I am excite about SLU, but I don't have to foot the entire $34k...so that helps.  If you want to know more about STL or where to live, don't hesitate to holla at me!

So naive.    8)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:49 PM »
My cousin is a 3L at SLU, and he said he's terrified about finding a job. Take this with a grain of salt, however, as my aunt seems to think he's barely scraping by.

This is the credited response.

Your cousin is not alone.  Many, if not most, of his classmates are in the same boat. 

Mulliganstew

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »

This is the credited response.

Your cousin is not alone.  Many, if not most, of his classmates are in the same boat. 

I think you're too dumb to understand the implied meaning of "barely scraping by."