Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12  (Read 4986 times)

sapphireowl

• Some are content at the bottom, i prefer the top.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:20:56 AM »
I do not believe that St. Louis Has this problem though since SLU alums are in law firms everywhere and they like to recruit only their own people..

This makes me laugh.   ;D

Law graduates these days are desperate enough to go any where jobs are maybe (just maybe) excluding North Dakota.  If you think law firms with partners graduated from St. Louis will hire you over some guy from WUSTL, University of Texas, or Vanderbilt, with everything being the same, you're dreaming. 

I tried to be nice on here. To respect your view. Listen man, I know that you are wrapped up in that "my school's name will make up for the obvious Lack of Talent I have school of thought". I know that I am good at law...and it doesn't matter if I go to WUSTL or SLU or Widener..I will sell myself and I will make an impact. I'm not going to law school to get a  JD with a fancy name like "Harvard". I am going to Law school to learn how to Read, analyze, and use the law to better society. I will be able going to the best school for me..not the best one for a lot of followers.

The thing that is messed up with your logic is that you think that a school's "Name" defines a "lawyer". How about you win a few cases and be in the legal profession for 10 years then tell me if what school a lawyer is an alma mater of means squat if he spouts out nonsense like you do.

I appreciated your first comment, but i did not ask for negativity on my thread. If you want to bring that then stay off.And i can tell you one thing, I hope that I do see you in court..I will wipe the floor with you.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »
Haha oh lordy.  Sapphire, you seemed so nice in person. It's always the quiet ones you have to worry about!

Anyways...

Soulard is amazing.  Its very historic, safe, and has a great mardi gras festival in which you can sell your parking spaces for like $10 bucks an hour for a three day weekend!  Tower Grove, I love... very old and historic and many buildings have been renovated.  That being said, there are still falling down buildings and crime.  Same with Forest Park area.  I've lived there and never felt unsafe, but if you are from suburbia it could be a rude awakening.

Central West End is safe, clean, and upscale if you can afford it.

Stay away from Illinois or anything north (Hazelwood, Florissant, etc.)

Best place to live in STL is West of the city.  Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Brentwood, Ladue, Clayton, Rock Hill, parts of Maplewood.  Its more expensive and farther away though -- but again if you are from suburbia that is where you will probably be happiest.

Make it easy - stay at the Coronado.  It is across the street from the law school and is an old renovated hotel that looks amazing inside and is full of SLU students.

http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=property&pid=3701lindell

Good luck and enjoy Saint Louis for me!  I sided with the negativity of the post and decided it was too much money.

sapphireowl

• Some are content at the bottom, i prefer the top.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »
Lol..I am nice guy ntiger..i just don't like it when people are negative..sometimes, it is just rude.lol...I made that comment because browsing through this website i see a lot of people crushing other's dreams unnecessarily.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »
I don't want to crush your dreams, I will let law school do that ;D

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
I don't want to crush your dreams, I will let law school do that ;D

This is the credited response.

lawnewbie09

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »
I couldnt make the admitted day, so I just did the tour and sat in a class and based on what you commented here, I missed a lot.  Did they mention about when you can do clinics?  Did they mention anything about how they grade in the course; meaning is there only one exam or other papers or anything that is considered for a grade?    I am having a hard time deciding on St louis and a school in Boston...and I have one week left to decide.  So anything you can share from your admitted day would be great.  Also, anybody from St.Louis seeing this ...can I live in St. Louis without a car?  Thanks

lawnewbie09

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 03:21:16 PM »
At your admitted day, did they mention the top three areas at SLU?  Besides health law, what else are their positives? Did the faculty mention what methods they use to teach a class?  The one class I sat in on was sooo quiet.  It was a contracts class and wondering if all of them are. What was your experience observing class?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »
I couldnt make the admitted day, so I just did the tour and sat in a class and based on what you commented here, I missed a lot.  Did they mention about when you can do clinics?  Did they mention anything about how they grade in the course; meaning is there only one exam or other papers or anything that is considered for a grade?    I am having a hard time deciding on St louis and a school in Boston...and I have one week left to decide.  So anything you can share from your admitted day would be great.  Also, anybody from St.Louis seeing this ...can I live in St. Louis without a car?  Thanks

It seems that you haven't done much research on law school.  Did you apply because you couldn't find a job with your undergrad degree? 

lawnewbie09

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 04:26:37 PM »
Well, I have gotten conflicting information from admissions and their online resources, so I was trying to find students who attend SLU currently or were at the admitted day program who could shed some new information on this school.  And, I am trying to get more opinions than one admissions person selling their law school.

rabbitz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 11:06:55 PM »
Lawnewbie: I did not attend the admitted student weekend, but I did attend open house in January. I don't know anything about the clinics, but I know that their curve is notoriously tough - I believe a 2.7 or so (it is on wikipedia). However, none of the students I spoke with said that they had known anyone who dropped out and I do not think their attrition rate is very high (but of course, this is only a few students who were probably chosen only to speak positively of the school...).

Anyways, I am seriously considering attending SLU in the Fall. However, I have no scholarships to the school! Is anyone else paying full price?? I am just wondering everyone's opinion on paying 34,000/year + on this expensive school!