Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12  (Read 5034 times)

sapphireowl

• Some are content at the bottom, i prefer the top.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Who is set on coming to Saint Louis School of law after coming to the admitted students weekend? I believe that i will be attending. The St. Louis Area will take some getting used to since it is so different from the region of the U.S. where i grew up. In any case, i am excited about the opportunities that Saint Louis Law can give me.I would like to get to know my other classmates so that when i move up there i know that there's other people out there in the same boat. So feel free to introduce yourselves on this board and share info.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Saint Louis University Schoolof Law Class of '12
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:02:08 AM »
SLU SUCKS! 

...just kidding.  I am secretly in love but unable to run with the 34k non-scholarship tuition rates.  Nice meeting you at admitted weekend, and best of luck to you!  There was a lot of great students there.

sapphireowl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »
It was a pleasure meeting you too ntiger. I especially enjoyed our conversation about the many neighborhoods of St. Louis.lol.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
Ha, STL can be a scary place in parts but there is a large group of people that love the city fiercly.  If anyone is going there from out of state, PM me and I will tell you the good and bad parts to live.  It is cheap to live there, so thats always a plus!

snakemongler84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »
Can you just highlight some of the good & bad areas in this thread?  I only got to stay for Friday's events, so I didn't hear much about housing (was held on Sat).

I've been looking at the area around Tower Park, and some nearer to Soulard (sp?).  Also, it would be kinda cool to live downtown.  What do you think about these choices, and also - what were your impressions from Day 2?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:40:37 PM »
Who is set on coming to Saint Louis School of law after coming to the admitted students weekend? I believe that i will be attending. The St. Louis Area will take some getting used to since it is so different from the region of the U.S. where i grew up. In any case, i am excited about the opportunities that Saint Louis Law can give me.I would like to get to know my other classmates so that when i move up there i know that there's other people out there in the same boat. So feel free to introduce yourselves on this board and share info.

Are you getting scholarships?  If not, it migh tnot worth the risk. 

Have you talk to any graduates from class of 2008 and 2007 and see how they and their classmates are doing job wise?  If the answer is no, you need to start digging more before you get yourself into debt and possibly with job upton graduation.  By the way, don't pay attention to those "employment stats" provided by the school. If you've done your research, you know how realiable they are.

sapphireowl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »
Day 2 was nice snakemongler.The dean gave a lecture on the case given to us in our Admitted students weekend package. We also had the chance to talk to the Faculty and hear their approaches to law. I think that they were all very intelligent professionals.Going to that weekend made me cast serious doubts on the validity of the US NEWS rankings..the professors spoke about the school's law clinic that is the official representation of the HUD office of Saint Louis as well as their business and criminal law Clinics and the fact that unlike many other law schools, they are hiring more professors to reduce class sizes to a yale -like 25 to 1 student to Professor Ratio. After the Faculty Panel we had lunch with the students and then had a housing fair with representatives from apartments in the area in attendance, as well as SLU students passing out regional apartment guides which was nice of them.

sapphireowl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
From what i have heard Snakemongler, the neighborhood directly south of the university (tower Grove/ Soulard) is a nice, safe place to live..and is way cheaper than lining in the Coronado or the Horrid University Lofts.lol.

sapphireowl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »
Contract 2008, you have a point. I appreciate your remarks.It is ALWAYS a good idea to sniff  out the legal market of a region before you decide to go to it's Law school...cause the last thing we all want is to go to law school in a region where there are no good jobs available. I do not believe that St. Louis Has this problem though since SLU alums are in law firms everywhere and they like to recruit only their own people..providing that the SLU graduate is able and qualified.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »
I do not believe that St. Louis Has this problem though since SLU alums are in law firms everywhere and they like to recruit only their own people..

This makes me laugh.   ;D

Law graduates these days are desperate enough to go any where jobs are maybe (just maybe) excluding North Dakota.  If you think law firms with partners graduated from St. Louis will hire you over some guy from WUSTL, University of Texas, or Vanderbilt, with everything being the same, you're dreaming.