Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: wants out of NorCal  (Read 646 times)

socal

• View Profile
wants out of NorCal
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »
I know this has been asked a million times, but I was wondering what people thought about my situation.

I'm a 1L at a decent school in NorCal with a decent scholarship, summer job, and probably have a work-study position in the trial advocacy program next year. I'm waiting to see if I made law review. My school only has year long classes for 1Ls, so I have no clue what my GPA and ranking will be, I know I'll be in the top 1/3rd to keep my scholarship and since my legal writing class shot up I could be top 10%-5% depending on how finals go. My problem is I love my school and will probably be able to find a job after graduation in NorCal, but I want to work in SoCal. I have family connections and the school has a decent alumni base in San Diego, so I was wondering if it'd be worth it to transfer to UCLA, USC, Loyola, or USD if I could and lose my scholarship (that would probably go up if my grades were good enough to transfer) and job. I know it'll be *possible* to get a job in SoCal, it just might take longer. Also, how does transferring work with OCIs in the fall? Thanks 

Droz

• View Profile
Re: wants out of NorCal
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:14:39 PM »
dont really know if i follow this whole post, but if you are at a decent school in norcal and have the grades to trasnfer, you'll prob get the good jobs in socal anyway.

also, if your grades are bad enough to lose your scholarship, they are prob not going to be good enough to transfer.

not really sure if this answers it, but it seems like for someone just trying for a differnt market in CA, you would be best off keeping the scholarship.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:25:39 PM »
Bottom line:  the only school it would even remotely make sense to transfer to is UCLA (I'd also include USC but they don't really take transfer students from what I gather).

You could also try transferring to Berkeley or Stanford (but obvious long shots).  Otherwise, I say you keep your ranking your current school, get onto a journal, and do some hardcore networking and you'll be able to find a job.

Take it from me, as someone who is OUT OF STATE and wants to come back to NorCal, that maybe it's difficult, but you certainly have a more than decent chance of getting back home.  At least there will be firms from SoCal conducting OCI at your school.

socal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:09:40 AM »
thanks! sorry for any confusion, I was rambling a bit (mainly missing sunny SoCal and regretting turning down USD for money). I would probably only transfer for UCLA, but I probably wouldn't because of the scholarship/hassle, and I really only get the urge to transfer when I'm driving because believe it or not, the freeways are worse here than they are in SoCal. I'm going to wait to see who is coming to my school's OCI, right after I posted I got an email from the CDO about a "sneak peak" at the firms coming this fall. Thanks again, I can't really decide until I get my grades back and find out about law review on Monday anyways.