Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T14 Numbers but Drug Offense Lingers... Help!  (Read 3501 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: T14 Numbers but Drug Offense Lingers... Help!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »
do car accident law suits count as "record" material? what is within that domain that law schools want to know about?

Does it just ask for criminal record?  If so, no need to include civil matters.

Or does it ask for "legal record" or "lawsuits involved in..." or anything broader than criminal?  If so, then include civil suits.  I don't recall civil suits ever being necessary for my applications although I think they may be necessary for the bar.
_______
.|E|R|S.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 11:09:06 AM »
You have to look at the individual application to see the scope of the questions.  Some state bar associations are more demanding than others re: what they want their law schools to ask for.  For some states, they'll want every kind of legal offense including speeding/traffic tickets.  Others will only ask about felonies or certain kinds of misdemeanors.  For some reason, the Midwestern schools I applied to asked for a lot more than the East Coast schools.
Fed gov't atty

Lawsome

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 08:23:14 AM »
You should definitely disclose, even if your record has been expunged. Eventually when you go to take the Bar, you will go thru a super-extensive application that will require you to disclose ANY arrests, convictions, etc., and the Bar is considered a law enforcement agency, which means they have access to EVERYTHING - whether expunged, sealed or open...

As long as you own up to your 'mistake', show (thru examples) that you have devoted yourself to beneficial activities since then, and don't try to make excuses, you should be fine. The most common infractions seen on law school apps are: DUIs, underage poss. of alcohol, poss. of marijuana and disturbing the peace/noise violations. 2 counts of paraphernalia are REALLY not a big deal and aren't going to keep you out of law school.

Final Note: Look at some of the U.S. Presidents: Clinton has admitted to smoking pot (although "without" inhaling), G.W. Bush has admittedly smoked pot AND done his fair share of cocaine, and Obama also admits that he's smoked pot (AND admits to inhaling, because as he put it, isn't that the point?  ;D). Just be honest and tell-all now to avoid questions of sneakiness/dishonesty 3 years from now!