Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T14 Numbers but Drug Offense Lingers... Help!  (Read 3576 times)

cheese86

• View Profile
T14 Numbers but Drug Offense Lingers... Help!
« on: March 30, 2009, 06:10:22 PM »
Hi, I am currently a Junior at Duke University with a GPA of 3.55/4 and an LSAT of 175.  A year ago, I was charged with two counts of posession of paraphernalia (for pot). This has since been expunged from my record and I have heard conflicting stories as to whether or not I should report this on applications.   If I did, would I have any chance at a T14?  I can obviously describe what I learned from the incident but it was only a year ago.  Specifically, I am interested in Columbia, Georgetown, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, NYU, and Northwestern.  Do I have a chance even if I report this infraction?  Any feedback would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: T14 Numbers but Drug Offense Lingers... Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:00:58 PM »
I really don't think anyone can answer whether or not you have a chance at any of the schools.  However, many applications specifically say you must include any offenses even if they were expunged.  So yes, you must report in that case.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

cheese86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:26:33 PM »
I would say people who know someone who has been in a similar situation could lend some valuable insight as to my chances.  I'm not expecting you to predict my results perfectly I just want to get people's opinions on the matter.  Thanks.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
I would say people who know someone who has been in a similar situation could lend some valuable insight as to my chances.  I'm not expecting you to predict my results perfectly I just want to get people's opinions on the matter.  Thanks.

Thanks for reminding me why I try not to be helpful.

Good luck!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
on the bright side it won't stop you from getting admitted to the bar. I dunno about what law schools will think.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:30:46 PM »
Get into counseling and stay there. You may have a difficult time right away, but as time passes, the adcoms will trust you more. It wasn't a breach of trust issue (i.e., cheating, theft, check fraud, etc), so that bodes in your favor. What they want to know is three things: 1) That you realize your mistake and are remorseful for it,  2) that you have learned from it, and are, thus, 3) not likely to repeat it.

Get counseling and stay there. If you don't have a community service project, you definitely need one, regardless. Take this opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. Go to the court and ask if you can join an anti-drug campaign or talk to juveniles about the dangers of drugs. It may, at first, seem disengenuous (so do not tell the adcoms about it this year. Apply and see what happens.

If you don't get in, keep up with the program for the next two years and let the adcoms know about it the next time you apply. Then, they will be surprized and ask, "Geez, why didn't he mention this community service before?" And it will seem as no big deal to you, thus, more genuine. Community service will always help for people who have been busted.

Just a few suggestions.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:11:56 AM »
Hi, I am currently a Junior at Duke University with a GPA of 3.55/4 and an LSAT of 175.  A year ago, I was charged with two counts of posession of paraphernalia (for pot). This has since been expunged from my record and I have heard conflicting stories as to whether or not I should report this on applications.   If I did, would I have any chance at a T14?  I can obviously describe what I learned from the incident but it was only a year ago.  Specifically, I am interested in Columbia, Georgetown, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, NYU, and Northwestern.  Do I have a chance even if I report this infraction?  Any feedback would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Don't bother with Northwestern.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:14:44 AM »
Get into counseling and stay there. You may have a difficult time right away, but as time passes, the adcoms will trust you more. It wasn't a breach of trust issue (i.e., cheating, theft, check fraud, etc), so that bodes in your favor. What they want to know is three things: 1) That you realize your mistake and are remorseful for it,  2) that you have learned from it, and are, thus, 3) not likely to repeat it.

Get counseling and stay there. If you don't have a community service project, you definitely need one, regardless. Take this opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. Go to the court and ask if you can join an anti-drug campaign or talk to juveniles about the dangers of drugs. It may, at first, seem disengenuous (so do not tell the adcoms about it this year. Apply and see what happens.

If you don't get in, keep up with the program for the next two years and let the adcoms know about it the next time you apply. Then, they will be surprized and ask, "Geez, why didn't he mention this community service before?" And it will seem as no big deal to you, thus, more genuine. Community service will always help for people who have been busted.

Just a few suggestions.

Are you f-ing serious? This guy doesn't need counseling. Honestly, it won't be THAT big of a deal - if you can deal with it properly. Lawdog's initial idea is credited - you just want to clarify that you've shaped up.

Definitely don't do something like get therapy or counseling (unless you need it). My guess is most schools will not not take you for this.

SS451

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:16:46 AM »

Don't bother with Northwestern.
Curious why you'd say that. Do you know that they're particularly hard on people with disciplinary issues? Cause his numbers are textbook Northwestern--marginal GPA, high LSAT.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 01:40:50 AM »

Curious why you'd say that. Do you know that they're particularly hard on people with disciplinary issues? Cause his numbers are textbook Northwestern--marginal GPA, high LSAT.

Yeah, that's true, but he's also still in undergrad. NU is notorious not only for LSAT whoring (i.e. not caring nearly as much about GPA), but for taking applicants with work experience.

I just think with this offense + lack of work experience, he's almost certain to not be offered admission.