Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 163 first time around without practice: impossible?  (Read 3581 times)

MalachiConstant

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 163 first time around without practice: impossible?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 06:13:07 AM »
Thanks for your response. I really didn't think it was possible to score that highly the first time around, but I stand corrected.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 07:51:30 AM »
When a friend suggested that I look at law school, I walked into a Kaplan center and scored a 169 on their practice test.  Decided it was at least good enough to take the real thing and keep my options open, and scored 170+ on the real thing.  I used the book of 10 practice exams put out by LSAC to prep.  So yeah, it's possible.  The test prep classes make me scratch my head a bit, to be honest... this isn't a content test.  Other than a few basic strategies that I'm sure anyone can pick up on the internet, I don't see how it can be "taught."

Then again, I've decided on a non-ABA school, so my advice should probably be ignored.

??? You scored in the 170+ and went with a non-ABA school? Say it ain't so!

phreejazz

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »
When a friend suggested that I look at law school, I walked into a Kaplan center and scored a 169 on their practice test.  Decided it was at least good enough to take the real thing and keep my options open, and scored 170+ on the real thing.  I used the book of 10 practice exams put out by LSAC to prep.  So yeah, it's possible.  The test prep classes make me scratch my head a bit, to be honest... this isn't a content test.  Other than a few basic strategies that I'm sure anyone can pick up on the internet, I don't see how it can be "taught."

Then again, I've decided on a non-ABA school, so my advice should probably be ignored.

??? You scored in the 170+ and went with a non-ABA school? Say it ain't so!

Hate to disappoint ya, but afraid it is so.  Long story short: In my situation I can't justify taking two years to go back and finish my undergrad degree, so a non-ABA school it is.

onmytoes812

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 03:53:40 PM »
i got a 160 when i took the kaplan test. so yes, it's possible.

OutsideLSAT

• View Profile
    • Outside LSAT
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 01:26:13 PM »
Working for a prep company, I can confirm that many students do score a 163 or higher on their first try: probably 15 - 20% of the students I work with.  Having exceptional reading abilities is usually the key to doing so well with no past prep.
Outside LSAT
*Personalized LSAT Prep
www.OutsideLSAT.com

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
Joe Perry picked up the guitar without taking any lessons.  Other than a few basic scales that I'm sure anyone can pick up on the internet, I don't see how it can be "taught."

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 03:39:11 AM »

Hate to disappoint ya, but afraid it is so.  Long story short: In my situation I can't justify taking two years to go back and finish my undergrad degree, so a non-ABA school it is.

Totally off topic now, but did you consider Thomas Jefferson in San Diego?  Last I heard they still accept "exceptional non-B.A. candidates".  With a 170+.... you probably fit that bill.

(I was waitlisted there with a 167 before I finished my B.A., but I decided to take the extra year and finish up my degree.)

Jay Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 02:57:46 AM »
I received a 162 on my first test, but a friend of mine scored 174 cold on a practice test and when in to take the real one a couple of weeks later with no additional practice and received 168.  So, I'm guessing it's more than possible to score 163 on a first try. 
In: UMich, UVA, G'town, UCLA, Duke
Out: Berkeley
Waitlist: Yale
No Response: UChicago, Stanford, Harvard, NYU, UPenn

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 08:37:25 PM »
I know many of my classmates did better without any studying. Mid 160's for taking it cold isn't terribly unusual - figure that most folks probably don't improve by more than 10pts, then most of the students at S Y and H probably did better than that.
HLS 2010

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
And you can spare us your useless and bitter questions. HTH.

:D