Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 163 first time around without practice: impossible?  (Read 3504 times)

MalachiConstant

• View Profile
    • Email
163 first time around without practice: impossible?
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »
My friend recently told me she got a 163 on a free Kaplan-administered practice LSAT. She told me she only did "substandard" on the logic games part and that she "took too long." Now, this girl is smart, and I think with practice a 163 would have been very doable for her. But she is also quite vain. She volunteered her supposed LSAT score without my asking for it, while also casually telling me that law wasn't for her. To me this suggested that she was lying about her score, and simply using it as an way to advertise her intelligence, which she likes to do. I was just wondering if getting a 163 is possible without any practise whatsoever, and without any real acquaintance with the structure of the test or the typology of its questions? I mean, how can you get this score and yet "take too long," or do "substandard" on any part. I'd like to hear if other people agree with suspicions. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: 163 first time around without practice: impossible?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
My friend recently told me she got a 163 on a free Kaplan-administered practice LSAT. She told me she only did "substandard" on the logic games part and that she "took too long." Now, this girl is smart, and I think with practice a 163 would have been very doable for her. But she is also quite vain. She volunteered her supposed LSAT score without my asking for it, while also casually telling me that law wasn't for her. To me this suggested that she was lying about her score, and simply using it as an way to advertise her intelligence, which she likes to do. I was just wondering if getting a 163 is possible without any practise whatsoever, and without any real acquaintance with the structure of the test or the typology of its questions? I mean, how can you get this score and yet "take too long," or do "substandard" on any part. I'd like to hear if other people agree with suspicions. 

Yes. I have a classmate who took the test without ever doing any practice or even seeing what the exam was like before he took it and got a 170+, heís also wickedly smart. Also remember test prep is a rather recent phenomena, past ten to twelve years as so, before that for the decades they have been giving the exam most people never prepped and we had the same numbers come up as we do now. Finally all that being said, lifeís easier when you worry about the things you can control in your own life and not the things you canít in someone elseís.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

MalachiConstant

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »
Thanks for the response. Makes me a little ashamed at having gone through all the test prep but oh well. By the way, you can spare me the pseudo philosophy next time.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:18:42 PM »
And you can spare us your useless and bitter questions. HTH.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »

OK, next time you post something this funny, please have a warning at the top.  I almost spit out my hot tea and burned myself.  Then I'd have to sue you and I don't want future generations to read about this case in a torts class ;D
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

MalachiConstant

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »
I find it ironic that I'm accused of asking useless questions by members whose posts seldom rise above the level of gossip.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 07:00:47 PM »
I find it ironic that I'm accused of asking useless questions by members whose posts seldom rise above the level of gossip.

gossip > questions
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 12:53:37 AM »
Purple.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »

Dumb. It wasn't that funny (if it was even funny at all).

And, fwiw, I thought OP's question was fine.

OP, I think a cold 163 is possible (and is pretty impressive). But, your friend may still have been lying  ;D
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

phreejazz

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:07:08 AM »
When a friend suggested that I look at law school, I walked into a Kaplan center and scored a 169 on their practice test.  Decided it was at least good enough to take the real thing and keep my options open, and scored 170+ on the real thing.  I used the book of 10 practice exams put out by LSAC to prep.  So yeah, it's possible.  The test prep classes make me scratch my head a bit, to be honest... this isn't a content test.  Other than a few basic strategies that I'm sure anyone can pick up on the internet, I don't see how it can be "taught."

Then again, I've decided on a non-ABA school, so my advice should probably be ignored.