Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL ($$$) v. UIUC ($$$) v. Michigan ($)  (Read 1592 times)

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL ($$$) v. UIUC ($$$) v. Michigan ($)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 07:57:35 AM »
Take the $$ and run.  WashU is king in St Louis and Chicago.  And cheap cost of living to boot.

I think all 3 schools are so good that choosing one or the other won't make a ton of difference.

This is wrong.  As GULC already indicated, WUSTL is definitely not king in Chicago.  It's respected, but not king.  I'd toss it in with all the other solid schools vying for spots in Chicago, but below UIUC (UIUC just has some powerful placement ability in Chicago due to alumni).  From OCI, my estimation of Chicago placement is:  Chicago > NW/Michigan >> Illinois > Other solid midwestern schools (Minn, ND, Wisconsin, Indiana-Bloomington, WUSTL, etc.) > Kent/Loyola/Depaul >>> NIU/JMLS.

I wouldn't even go far as to call it king in STL.  Its rep goes far and it's a good school, but there are a number of firms that look suspiciously at WUSTL.  STL is a secondary market where ties are not required, but they are often important.  Kids at WUSTL do great if they are in the top 1/3 or so or have ties, but anywhere outside that without ties and things can get dicey.  Not impossible, just tough.

I'd say Michigan in a heart-beat, especially if you are looking at Chicago and want the best options.  If you want to go with money, I'd go UIUC for Chicago (unless you just fall/fell in love with WUSTL) -- I think you'll be eligible for in-state after your first year and the alumni network in Chicago for UIUC kids is pretty strong.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

Kole0019

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Go to Michigan...are you serious? If you can get a loan or have someone get a loan for you because your scholarship and federal loans are not go to cover the full cost... then go to Michigan..if you can't then consider the other schools..but don't be cheap

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »
WashU is king in St Louis and Chicago.

rediculous statement.

I think all 3 schools are so good that choosing one or the other won't make a ton of difference.

completely redeemed.  ;)

From my perspective it's like this:

WashU is definately not better than UofI in Chi-town.  There's simply no way that's true, and I will hear none of it.  Beyond that though, I'd probably pick Michigan out of the 3, especially given you got some money.  That would still hinge, however, on how I liked things when I visited, and what kind of terms were on the scholarship:  I know UofI has no requirements to hold on to scholarships, you just have to pass; and I know a big part of why I picked IL was that I got a real good vibe from the town and it's people.  If St. Louis blew me away I might've gone there instead.

In the end: Michigan has the best job prospects nationally, and that's probably enough reason to pick it over the others, all things being equal.  But still, things may not be equal to you, so go with your gut at the end of the day.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »
... I think you'll be eligible for in-state after your first year ...

As much as I agree with the rest of this post...

It's basically impossible to switch to in-state here, unless you get married or something.  Sad, but true.

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 05:34:40 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't sure of that.  I'm actually from Illinois, so I knew I was in-state when I was deciding.  For some reason, I had it in my head that it was one of those that makes it easy to get in-state.  Sadly, I'm often full of it.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.