Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Range 25th/75th percentile  (Read 5843 times)

ths2

• View Profile
LSAT Range 25th/75th percentile
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »
Assuming a GPA close to the median and solid work experience / softs, are you in a good position if you're at the 25th percentile mark?

masterpinky0509

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT Range 25th/75th percentile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »
It's a little iffy.

It's by no means perfect, but if you look at LS odds calculators (such as www.hourumd.com or something like that) based on past year's LSN data, you would have at best a 50-50 shot at the school in question. Sometime it can be as low as 15-20%.

LSAT score is the one thing that you can bump up, however, so re-take and things might work out.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:17:33 AM »
Assuming a GPA close to the median and solid work experience / softs, are you in a good position if you're at the 25th percentile mark?

Just solid? Then, no, not really. That's like waitlist territory, with the occasional acceptance/rejection.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

canon21387

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
Can you give your gpa/LSAT? It's really hard to give an answer without an understanding of what your numbers are. There's a major difference between a 3.5/175 applying to HLS (GPA = lower than 25% and LSAT above 75%) and a 3.7/161 applying to GULC or GW or a lower T1. All things are relative.
 Good Luck!

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »
no.

that would be a "reach" not a "target".
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

ths2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:40 AM »
This is specifically in reference to Fordham Law part-time.  My GPA is 3.57 which is at/above the median; my LSAT is at around the 25% mark.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »
This is specifically in reference to Fordham Law part-time.  My GPA is 3.57 which is at/above the median; my LSAT is at around the 25% mark.

Like sheltron said, more of a reach than a target.  You aren't in bad shape though, apply early.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
unfortunately the answer is still no, it's not a "good" position. On the other hand it's not a "bad" position either. You have a fair chance of getting in, but the odds are a little worse than 1/2.

Fortunately for you, you are one of those cuspy people for whom soft factors and essays REALLY make a difference. If they think your softs are good enough, it could swing things in your favor. Unfortunately, LS admissions remains largely a numbers game, even the part time programs now, as I think USNWR added or talked about adding such programs to their rankings.

Good luck.

ETA: I didn't mention this, thinking you already knew, but traditionally part time programs were "looser" with their numbers since they didn't get ranked, meaning that softs mattered more. That may have changed now but you should definitely read up on it.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.