Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St. John's Law full tuition scholarship vs. Brooklyn Law school half tuition  (Read 5052 times)

jules82

• View Profile
Hi,   I have been accepted to St. John's law and Brooklyn Law school full time programs so far.. still waiting to hear back from a few more schools..  I am trying to decide between these two schools. I am not too familiar with Queens or Brooklyn..  Does anyone have any opinions on deciding between the two??  any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: St. John's Law full tuition vs. Brooklyn Law school half tuition
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »
Hi,   I have been accepted to St. John's law and Brooklyn Law school full time programs so far.. still waiting to hear back from a few more schools..  I am trying to decide between these two schools. I am not too familiar with Queens or Brooklyn..  Does anyone have any opinions on deciding between the two??  any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd say Brooklyn over SJU.  BLS is actually slightly better regarded than SJU from what I can tell, so they'd win even if it was even money.

jules82

• View Profile
thanks...  i actually received a full tuition scholarship at st. john's and a little over half at Brooklyn..    any other opinions?

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
thanks...  i actually received a full tuition scholarship at st. john's and a little over half at Brooklyn..    any other opinions?

Oops, I just saw "full tuition".  I'd go with SJU in that case.  Conditions with scholarships?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
SJU ftw.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jules82

• View Profile
The conditions with the full tuition scholarship at St, John's for all three years is to keep my grades in the top half of the class, or else lose it all together.  At brooklyn law, i received over a half tuition scholarship for the first year. It can be renewed to the second year 100% if grades are in the top 40%,  will be renewed 80% of the amount if grades are in the top half, and 50% of the amount if grades are in the top 65% of the class..  I liked the area Brooklyn law is in since it's right by the courts and one stop from Manhattan, not sure how safe it is though.. I'm not familiar with Queens, obviously more suburban and I'd need a car and would need to find an apartment somewhere off campus...  Brooklyn seems a little higher ranked than SJU, but I'm not sure how much that matters..

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email

BLS is in a really convenient, pretty area.  I haven't been to SJU, but I've been to Jamaica, Queens, and it's definitely a little rougher.  You may want to look at Google's "Street View" to get an idea of the neighborhoods.

From what I've heard on here, the gap between the two schools' reputations in NYC is slim to none.  So I guess it's a question of how much debt you're willing to take on for a little comfort in location.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
BLS is higher ranked, right next to the courts and talks alot about it's alumni network. Further, it may place slightly better during a normal economy. With that said, I'd say go for SJU. The difference in placement in this economy is negligible since everyone's having trouble.
Let's talk about money...
SJU is $42,000 a year. If you lost the scholarship after the 1st year, you'd be paying $80k for your law degree. Brooklyn is also $42 a year, so you if you keep it all 3 years, you're paying about $60,000 for the 3 years. So losing it @ SJU costs you $20k more than keeping it under harder requirements @ BLS.
Now @ SJU, I know that if you lose a scholarship 1 year, you can requalify for it the following year. Looking at the BLS rules you posted, it doesn't seem to be a matter of keeping it or losing it, rather simply a variable amount each year.
Turning to location, there are some bad parts of Jamaica. Heck, the streets that are on the far side of campus, near the undergrad dorms, aren't that great... and I wouldn't want to walk down to the subway station at night. However, the side of campus where the law school is (and there's never really any reason to go on the undergrad side) is never a problem (at least in my 2 years experience).
I can't compare SJU to BLS, but I can say that I've seen many alumni active in various initiatives at the law school... ranging from attendance at different speakers and events to helping coach mock trial teams. Similarly I can't compare the BLS faculty with SJU, but of the 14 different professors I've had so far, 1 was lousy, 1 was hard to follow, most were good and 5 were GREAT. Pretty good experience I think...
Good Luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

jules82

• View Profile
Thanks for everyone's input so far!  RobWreck,  how do you find the student body at SJU?  Is it very competitive to get into the clinics/moot court/and law review journals?  Do you think it would be difficult to keep a scholarship at SJU after the first year?   

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
I would say St. Johns. I don't think there is that much different in reputation, and the cost differential is potentially huge.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?