Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 156 LSAT...Retake?  (Read 2271 times)

20caliguy

• View Profile
156 LSAT...Retake?
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:57:29 PM »
Hey everyone. I took the June test and got a 156. I applied and got accepted to numerous T3 schools (some with generous scholarships) and one T2 school. However, when I was studying for and actually took the LSAT I was still in undergrad and working full time. I graduated in Dec. and wonder if you think I should retake the LSAT since I would have more time to study for it now that I am out of school. I took Testmasters as a prep course and improved from an initial diagnostic score of 142 to 156. Any thoughts?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: 156 LSAT...Retake?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »
Well, it really depends on your goals. If you're content with the schools you got accepted to - then go.

Or, you can study for the next month & see where you're at & then assess your situation. I think lots can happen in 2 months, so if you're regularly PTing above 160 in a month or 6 weeks, I say go for it. You would have to sit out a cycle, though.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

willametterules

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:19:22 PM »
I've gotta go with what the previous poster said about goals.  The more doors you have open the better.  I didn't retake and took the full scholarship to a T4, I'm now finishing up at a T2.  Things worked out, but it sure would have been a lot easier to nail the LSAT or to have retaken it at least once to see what might have happened.  Good luck.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »
Slight derail, although still on subject, TJ - did that scenario end up helping cash wise? Any $ from the T4? Were you planning on trying to transfer? Pretty risky, but good for you that it worked out.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

willametterules

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:24 AM »
Slight derail, although still on subject, TJ - did that scenario end up helping cash wise? Any $ from the T4? Were you planning on trying to transfer? Pretty risky, but good for you that it worked out.

Yes, the first year at the T4 (30 units) was a full scholarship, when you transfer you give up merit money.  So I pay full fair at the T2.  A free year cut costs substantially.  Yes, I planned to transfer from Day 1.  The school that I transferred to told me before I entered the T4 that if I was top 1/2 at the T4 after 1L they would admit me as a transfer.

SamE397

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »
14 points is a pretty big improvement so it would seem like you prepped verily well the first time through which might mean you'll have diminishing returns on future studying.

FWIW I had the same score and was a little disappointed but decided not to take the test again. I did well enough to get into the local schools I was looking into and didn't have interest in going to a school outside the region unless it was a top thirty.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »
If you're happy with your prospective schools then don't bother with a retake.

The only reason to retake is if you feel you can improve your score significantly, and if you're really unhappy with the thought of attending your in-range schools.