Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra $23k vs. Pace $16k vs. NYLS  (Read 1142 times)

buyitlow

• View Profile
    • Email
Hofstra $23k vs. Pace $16k vs. NYLS
« on: March 28, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
Subject says it all. I was given $23k from Hofstra, $16k from Pace and nada from NYLS. I'm leaning towards Hofstra. Which should I choose?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Hofstra $23k vs. Pace $16k vs. NYLS
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:30:44 PM »
Hofstra hands down.

Pace and NYLS are not really steps up- might as well take the money.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »
As someone that goes to Hofstra, I'd definitely say go to Hofstra over those schools. Not only is the scholarship good, but the cost of living in long island is much cheaper than the city. Also, as much as ranking matters, Hofstra is in the top 100 and there has been much improvement in the bar passage rate and an increase in post-graduation employment (from the previous year, who knows what its going to be like because of the economy, but that goes for all schools). If you have any questions let me know. Also, see the posting "1L at Hofstra Willing to take questions" that I started.

buyitlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I would be living on campus, and the rules of the dorms that you discussed make me a bit hesitant, but I guess that wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:27:56 PM »
Hofstra, unless the $ has some crazy renewal conditions.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:27:23 PM »
Why are you going to be living on campus? Are you not going to have a car?

buyitlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »
Why are you going to be living on campus? Are you not going to have a car?

I live out of state, so commuting isn't really an option. I figured the best way to meet people and find a niche is to live in the dorms on campus. I wouldn't be opposed to finding housing off campus, but I don't mind dorming during 1L. Agree or disagree?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »
Disagree. I was planning on living in the dorms and decided not to and I think that was a great decision. Not only it is more expensive, but I'm guessing its probably also more distracting. I also like the fact that once I leave school I am done (I do mostly all my work at the library). Also, if I lived in the dorms I would be way too tempted to go home and either hang out or sleep instead of getting work done (I also bring my lunch so I don't have to go any where to get it). I currently live in a nice neighborhood (as opposed to the neighborhood around Hofstra), live close to the train station (50 min train to Penn Station), and close to shops and restaurants. I also prefer to have my privacy and am an independent person.

As someone who was also out of state, I came up a month before and found a place with the help of my sister who lives in Queens. On a side note, I am pretty sure I am going to be moving from my current place to live with a friend I met at Hofstra so it will be vacant. Its a studio for 700 month with utilities included (as opposed to the average monthly 1200 something for the dorm). Let me know if you want more information, but definitely reconsider the dorms.

buyitlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
Yeah i totally hear what you're saying. Is the apartment complex that you live filled with other students? I wouldn't mind living off campus as long as I'm not surrounded by families and old people, lol.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »
Subject says it all. I was given $23k from Hofstra, $16k from Pace and nada from NYLS. I'm leaning towards Hofstra. Which should I choose?

Hofstra.

Is that $23k/year or total by the way?  The answer doesn't affect my response.  Just curious.