Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re-taking the LSAT while in law school?  (Read 2982 times)

stewart35

• View Profile
Re-taking the LSAT while in law school?
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:12:12 PM »
stupid question,
I am considering transferring from my current school, after looking at the requirement's for transfer I noticed that some schools look at whether the transfer applicant would have been admitted in the first year class (usually measured by GPA/LSAT).  I had an alright LSAT, but I was wondering if anybody has re-written the LSAT while in law school to make their application more consistent with the first year requirement's of the transferring school.

Thanks

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Re-taking the LSAT while in law school?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:13:06 PM »
ROFL

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
The LSAT is used (theoretically) to gauge your potential for success in law school. After you've spent a semester and a half immersed in the study which the test is supposed to gauge, you'd probably do a lot better on it regardless of how well you did the first time. So I think that any school "comparing" your previous LSAT with the one you propose taking now would tend to discredit your second score, especially as you have grades which either prove/disprove the results of the proposed second test.

Cornell 2011

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:20:50 AM »
Rataking = waste of time.

LSAT/GPA is used as a predictor of your law school performance.  Once you have LS grades, they can SEE how you've performed, and no longer need to predict it.

And as far as I know, only the top schools (HYS, and perhaps some others in the T14) use the "must have been qualified as an applicant" standard.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »
Kansas actually requires that your numbers be fairly consistent with the averages of the class you're transferring into.

"A transfer applicant generally must have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average and an LSAT score that are equal to or greater than the median undergraduate grade point average and median score of the KU School of Law class with which the applicant would have entered as a first-year student."

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:19:42 AM »
I was accepted to a few schools that had this policy regarding transfers-- and I think it is a policy designed to scare people off from transferring-- I didn't have a competitive LSAT compared to my class at those schools, but I got in anyway.

Vanderbilt 2010

contrapositive

• Sr. Citizen
  • "your power was given to you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 07:36:38 PM »
I was accepted to a few schools that had this policy regarding transfers-- and I think it is a policy designed to scare people off from transferring-- I didn't have a competitive LSAT compared to my class at those schools, but I got in anyway.

Me too.  my lsat was in the lower 25% of the school I transferred to.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »
mine wasn't anywhere close! LOL
Vanderbilt 2010

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »

I'm not sure that policy makes any sense to me, applications in any form is a cash cow for the schools. A school will get 5-600 transfer applications, which means they pocket an extra 40-45k for pretty little work. That's more than a full years tuition as bonus.

Still, I heard other people say the same, that it did not appear that they looked much at LSAT/UGPA, so I am inclined to still believe you are right.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
Well, Berkeley and others say 1L performance gets most of the weight. Stanford says you must have been a "competitive" applicant from undergrad/masters program in order to receive serious consideration. But, "competitive applicant" can mean many things.

Plus, most of Stanford's applicants are people the adcom would at least consider admitting out of undergrad/masters. They just don't get many ex-cons with 2.5/145, no softs and so-so LOR's. lol. The quality of the school you are transfering from, however, can also take on serious weight, depending on the target school. Thus, with a few notable exceptions, it's almost always better to transfer from a so-called "top-50" school.

One positive with Stanford is, they do not care what your reason is for transfering; they assume you are looking for an "upgrade" and they are fine with that.