Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham vs Emory  (Read 1289 times)

kolector

• View Profile
Fordham vs Emory
« on: March 28, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
I prefer working in NY or DC. Some people have negative thoughts about living in NY but NYC life does not concern me at all.
I guess my main concern is that Emory has a higher ranking, and Fordham has the impression of being more competitive than Emory.

Thus, though some part of me tells me this is a nobrainer fordham, I still don't know which school to choose.

What are your suggestions?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fordham vs Emory
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »
Fordham for NYC and DC aspirations. Emory otherwise.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »
NYU, choose Fordham.  DC, choose Emory. 

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »
NYC, choose Fordham.  DC, choose Emory. 

This is pretty much it.

kolector

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:33:39 AM »
well if there's anyone who's already on the field,

would you consider DC a better working environment than NYC?

could be an odd question but I do wonder about this often.

lucky7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:49:53 AM »
I say listen to the part of you that says Fordham. Also: visit both schools, if you can. That may make your decision easier.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »
I say listen to the part of you that says Fordham. Also: visit both schools, if you can. That may make your decision easier.

What does visiting really do?  It's not like OP is buying a house and need to see the location and quality of the structure.  A school's ability to select good reps and tour guides doesn't mean it will give you a good education and career prospect.  All visiting will accomplish is seeing the library where you'll be studying or the classroom where you'll be sitting. Those are unimportant matters.  And, in three years, or sometime, three weeks, it won't matter to you at all. A classroom is a classroom is a classroom and the samething can be said about the desk, chair, studying room, etc.

Kole0019

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »
I would go to Fordham because you want o NYC and Emory is a regional school..if you don't like life in NYC you can transfer out in a year...application for transfer student are not due until July....

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
My final decision came down to Emory v. Fordham. It was a hard decision, but I ended up choosing Emory.

First, I would say that you will not be at a disadvantage getting a NYC job from Emory. While half of the class stays in Atlanta, more 25-33% of the class ends up in NYC, and about 10-15% end up in DC. The rest are scattered all over the place. I have limited ties to NYC/NJ and had many, many summer job offers there (more there than in Atlanta). I have zero ties to CA where I will be working this summer. Emory isn't a top-14, but I think calling it a regional school is a little short sighted. After reviewing placement facts I decided that Emory wouldn't really hurt me if I wanted to go to NYC.

Second, if I wanted to be in Atlanta or go back to FL where I am from, Emory has more of a connection with the southeast than does Fordham. Doesn't sound like a concern for the OP, however, I would argue that Fordham is more of a regional school than Emory is. I have no idea what F's DC stats are, but I have a feeling that Emory has more ties to DC.

Third, cost of living is much, much cheaper in Atlanta. If this is an issue, think about it hard. Rent alone could be 1/3 of what you would pay in NY.

Finally, and this is person specific, but I just liked Emory better. I visited both schools and I just got a better feeling from Emory than I did from Fordham. Fordham to me felt like a "lawyer factory" and Emory felt more like a "school." Also, I really like Atlanta (although I really like NYC too); it has a very nice artist/counter-culture/underground vibe to it that appeals to me. I think many of my classmates that are from NY enjoy Atlanta and what it has to offer.

I can't speak to the competition at Fordham, but I would say for the most part, people are pretty laid back here and aren't into sabotaging their fellow classmates. Law students are a competitive bunch but I would say in general, everyone is pretty friendly here. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »

What does visiting really do?  It's not like OP is buying a house and need to see the location and quality of the structure.  A school's ability to select good reps and tour guides doesn't mean it will give you a good education and career prospect.  All visiting will accomplish is seeing the library where you'll be studying or the classroom where you'll be sitting. Those are unimportant matters.  And, in three years, or sometime, three weeks, it won't matter to you at all. A classroom is a classroom is a classroom and the samething can be said about the desk, chair, studying room, etc.

I think you can pick up a lot about the general vibe of the place from a visit. I mean, if you're about to blow some unglodly amount of money on an education, you might as well spend a few hundred $s to make sure you'll actually like it there beforehand.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.