Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern vs Penn vs NYU  (Read 3384 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern vs Penn vs NYU
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 11:12:26 AM »
OP should still try it and see. if penn wants them bad enough to offer 60, maybe they'll go higher if they've got some competition. it's NU no WUSTL...

be warned though, it is known that nyu does not increase offers.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

schpat

• ICQ Messenger - 337157807
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 08:58:07 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful advice thus far :)

I'd probably like to either work on the east coast or in Northern California (I have family there), but I guess in this economy I'd work anywhere as long as it means having a job ;)

Problem is that there is still a few schools (Chicago, Stanford and Harvard) that I haven't heard from and that I won't hear from until the April 10th scholarship acceptance deadline :(

With regards to undergrad debt, I am lucky to have none. My parents are willing to hep out to the best of their abilities, but that's about 7000 dollars per year max

GPA: 3.86
LSAT: 174 (169)

schpat

• ICQ Messenger - 337157807
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:27:24 AM »
Also, I  called Penn with regards to their offer and Northwestern's offer and they told me that they are going to re-evaluate my application and that within the next one or two days I will get an email saying whether there is more money for me :)
GPA: 3.86
LSAT: 174 (169)

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:36:20 AM »
Penn wouldn't give a poo about NU (not NW) offer.  It is not considered to be a peer school.  What do you want to do after law school?

Wait, but NU and Cornell are peer schools and a friend of mine has Penn match money from Cornell. Also, I don't think NU is one of those schools that throw money at students necessarily. I think they could be considered peers, actually - at least for scholarship purposes. I think there are two tiers of peers within the T-14 HYSCCN and BPMVDCNG
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 01:21:44 AM »
Are you going to Day at Northwestern?

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:43 AM »
Penn wouldn't give a poo about NU (not NW) offer.  It is not considered to be a peer school.  What do you want to do after law school?

Wait, but NU and Cornell are peer schools and a friend of mine has Penn match money from Cornell. Also, I don't think NU is one of those schools that throw money at students necessarily. I think they could be considered peers, actually - at least for scholarship purposes. I think there are two tiers of peers within the T-14 HYSCCN and BPMVDCNG

I don't think it's so much a two-tier system as it is a sliding scale.  Did Penn match your friend dollar for dollar?  Was it this year?  Schools are much more cash-strapped this year from what I understand.  And I think even last year, they would have offered something but not necessarily a full match.

That having been said, never hurts to ask.