Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern vs Penn vs NYU  (Read 3295 times)

schpat

• ICQ Messenger - 337157807
    • View Profile
Northwestern vs Penn vs NYU
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:12:52 PM »
Northwestern full ride vs. Penn 60k (no need-based aid awarded whatsoever)  vs NYU 37.5k (no need-based aid either)

Which one and why?
GPA: 3.86
LSAT: 174 (169)

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern vs Penn vs NYU
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »
I would chose Northwestern. 160K buys more if you don't have to make a loan payment :) Really though, I think NYU does place a little better maybe, but no debt is too good a deal to pass on for a solid T14.

NYC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:46:29 AM »
I would chose Northwestern. 160K buys more if you don't have to make a loan payment :) Really though, I think NYU does place a little better maybe, but no debt is too good a deal to pass on for a solid T14.
Sounds like a sweet deal from NU, and Chicago is a great city to live in for 3 years or so.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 01:15:59 PM »
Northwestern full ride vs. Penn 60k (no need-based aid awarded whatsoever)  vs NYU 37.5k (no need-based aid either)

Which one and why?

It's an uncertain age.  First years with Harvard degrees are getting laid off at Vault 10 law firms.  Keeping debt low is more important than ever.  Go to Northwestern.  Prospects are admittedly not as good as Penn or NYU, but a full ride is worth it in my opinion.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:32:42 AM »

Which one and why?

So, NU offers you 120K, Penn 60K, and NYU 37.5K, right? 

You should choose something in between.  You should also tell Penn about the NU offer and ask more more money. Try to get it close to 100K or at least 80K. 

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:14:53 AM »
Penn wouldn't give a *&^% about NU (not NW) offer.  It is not considered to be a peer school.  What do you want to do after law school?
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

heron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:24:05 AM »
NU (Northwestern) is definitely a peer school to Penn. I love NU (which used to go by NWU back in the day), and I would certainly choose it over Penn if I were you. Chicago is a wonderful city (I used to live there and had friends and NU med and law), and NU law is in one of the most beautiful parts of the city. The answer to you question depends a little on where you want to work. But NU has an absolutely stellar reputation in the mid-West (among non-lawyers even better than Chicago and certainly better than Penn and NYU), and I think it's at least as strong as the others out West.

Go to NU, and you will never look back!

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:29:18 AM »

Which one and why?

It's an uncertain age.  First years with Harvard degrees are getting laid off at Vault 10 law firms.  Keeping debt low is more important than ever.  Go to Northwestern.  Prospects are admittedly not as good as Penn or NYU, but a full ride is worth it in my opinion.
titcr
Columbia 3L

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 04:27:05 AM »

Which one and why?

If you want to clerk/do academia/really elite PI work, i'd say NYU. Otherwise, NU.  Penn's marginal prestige advantages over NU aren't worth the $$.  If you have a low UG debt load and a family that's willing to help out a little bit, i'd say NYU might still be worth taking - given how uncertain things are, school is very important.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 09:49:10 AM »
Penn wouldn't give a poo about NU (not NW) offer.  It is not considered to be a peer school.  What do you want to do after law school?

I'd say they're peer schools.  That said, I agree that they're unlikely to bump their offer based on NU.