Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many and what are the best books to buy for 1L classes?  (Read 5270 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many and what are the best books to buy for 1L classes?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 02:36:24 PM »
I didn't study up on anything before I started, taking the old advice that seems to be common place, and I think it was a mistake.

Now, I'm not saying to try to learn torts or anything this summer, but take some time to familiarize yourself with some basic terms and overarching concepts in everything you'll take during your first semester and you'll be much better off for your efforts. I'd honestly say reading through the wikipedia articles on the topics you'll cover a few times should be pretty sufficient. Try to understand what you can, and don't worry about what you can't.

I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 05:20:28 PM »
but ninja, the wiki article appropriately titled "torts" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torts) is based on the UK perspective...

is that what i need?

is there no book with all the subjects conveniently covered with a deep (but not too deep) big picture analysis??

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »
but ninja, the wiki article appropriately titled "torts" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torts) is based on the UK perspective...

is that what i need?

No, the english are nuts
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »

is that what i need?

is there no book with all the subjects conveniently covered with a deep (but not too deep) big picture analysis??

The English are crazy, but some of the older stuff is still good law in the US. Find the US articles for best results.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't any single book like you describe... mayhaps I need to write one...

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »
we could at least begin an online version.  we could get everyone on LSD to contribute to it for posterity's sake....

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »
we could at least begin an online version.  we could get everyone on LSD to contribute to it for posterity's sake....
'
Then it would be 100% wrong, unless lawdog wrote it of course
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »
'
Then it would be 100% wrong, unless lawdog wrote it of course

TITCR.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 04:48:35 PM »
I find this thread to be full of weird advice. If I had to pick between supplements or case books, I'd go with the supplements every day of the week.

Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 11:18:03 AM »
The book I recommended earlier does this quite well.

It goes through some of the history of various significant cases in all the basic areas of law, talks about basic BBL stuff (what is a tort etc...), and discusses some of the major areas of controversy (including tort reform).

A+ for content,
B- for organization.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
I find this thread to be full of weird advice. If I had to pick between supplements or case books, I'd go with the supplements every day of the week.

Dude, what are you talking about?  Most of the people in this thread are endorsing supplements!  I think you're inferring things that are not present....