Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many and what are the best books to buy for 1L classes?  (Read 5303 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many and what are the best books to buy for 1L classes?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 03:49:27 AM »
cooley, huh?

Actually, that is good advice at any law school.  While it's not prevalent, theft does happen at law schools.

The staff at FSU's law library advised us to either take our laptops with us if we leave the library for any amount of time or have locks since we're technically a public library and the public can come in during normal business hours as such (key swipe required otherwise). They say they haven't had many problems, but every once in a while...

There are at least a few sketchy people in there everyday, usually just old guys researching divorce law or something, but sometimes some serious tweaker looking dudes probably trying to figure out how to do pro se legal work to defend themselves from charges stemming from moving work.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »
cooley, huh?

Actually, that is good advice at any law school.  While it's not prevalent, theft does happen at law schools.

The staff at FSU's law library advised us to either take our laptops with us if we leave the library for any amount of time or have locks since we're technically a public library and the public can come in during normal business hours as such (key swipe required otherwise). They say they haven't had many problems, but every once in a while...

There are at least a few sketchy people in there everyday, usually just old guys researching divorce law or something, but sometimes some serious tweaker looking dudes probably trying to figure out how to do pro se legal work to defend themselves from charges stemming from moving work.

I've heard at my school that there are people who stake out the library during finals time and steal things when people leave.  (And no, they don't seem to be law students, or even students for that matter.)  A supplement was stolen from my friend last semester.   :-\ 

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »
cooley, huh?

I've heard at my school that there are people who stake out the library during finals time and steal things when people leave.  (And no, they don't seem to be law students, or even students for that matter.)  A supplement was stolen from my friend last semester.   :-\ 

that's freakin' wild...

what is this world coming to...?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 06:30:28 PM »
that's freakin' wild...

what is this world coming to...?

It's a jungle out there.  Academia tries to sterilize everything but that's that way it is.   :-\

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »
Success with law school exams is all about knowing how to mirror your professors' thinking. Study aids should assist this process while deviating as little as possible. Since you don't know how your professors think until you interact with them, you should wait to purchase study aids until you arrive.

This might be a little disconcerting, because you want to start studying now, and the first few weeks will probably be tough. Trust me, you're better served waiting until you arrive. But take care of the problem early. Ask your profs what they recommend. If they're vague, try to locate second-year students and get their recommendations. If you've been assigned a "mentor," this might be a good place to start.

Depending on what kind of schoolwide listserv you have, it will doubtlessly be inundated with messages from 2Ls and 3Ls selling casebooks and supplements early in the year. Check the name of each seller against the names of your school's law review masthead, and try to buy supplements from the names that match, provided these sellers had the same professor that you did.

Also, and I can't stress this enough: try to find outlines from 2L students that did well. Sometimes the folks you buy casebooks/supplements from will throw in their outlines if they like you. This doesn't mean you shouldn't write your own, but it can be an indispensible from an organizational standpoint.
Cornell 2011

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 03:07:36 PM »
For incoming 1Ls- don't, just don't, enjoy you're time before school starts its the last chance you'll have for a while.. and sleep.. ditto

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 06:22:10 PM »
this is not a slam against anyone, especially not the last poster, but i do wonder if the frequent advice "don't study at all the summer before 1L, just relax, you'll be plenty tired of law school by the time it starts" ever come from students who eventually finished top 10%?? 

anyone who finished top 10% giving out this advice to 0Ls??

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »
<--0L but....

I think it makes a lot of sense to follow everyone's advice to not study the summer before, get all your sh*t together, but don't wast your last bit of leisure time studying. The only book that seems to promote studying is planet lawschool, and that guy's a total nutcase.

I plan to spend the time with friends, and getting everything ready for the job search: refreshing my resume, trying to get a handle on firms/judges/NPOs I might want to intern for next summer, getting moved, and getting to know my way around wherever I end up going.

Which is not to say I'm going to avoid law completely, I'll read a ton of non-academic stuff about the legal system and whatnot, just because I enjoy it, and it can help give a big picture view of law. (BTW, I HIGHLY recommend _the nine_).

I really think that other than the big picture stuff (which is really what all those law preview type programs are designed to give) there's not much you can do to prepare except get ready to read your but off.

Maybe take a speed reading class?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 07:30:57 PM »
this is not a slam against anyone, especially not the last poster, but i do wonder if the frequent advice "don't study at all the summer before 1L, just relax, you'll be plenty tired of law school by the time it starts" ever come from students who eventually finished top 10%?? 

anyone who finished top 10% giving out this advice to 0Ls??

That's a good question.  I'd be interested to see this.

FWIW, I read a little bit of E&E's just before school and my grades were good last semester.  Of course, that could be due to other reasons, but I just wanted to add a little anecdotal evidence.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »
<--0L but....

I think it makes a lot of sense to follow everyone's advice to not study the summer before, get all your sh*t together, but don't wast your last bit of leisure time studying. The only book that seems to promote studying is planet lawschool, and that guy's a total nutcase.

I just want to add, from a 1L's perspective, that "Planet Law School" is not as crazy as it seems to be.  (Although the guy is indeed crazy, his general ideas have merit.) 

I plan to spend the time with friends, and getting everything ready for the job search: refreshing my resume, trying to get a handle on firms/judges/NPOs I might want to intern for next summer, getting moved, and getting to know my way around wherever I end up going.

Which is not to say I'm going to avoid law completely, I'll read a ton of non-academic stuff about the legal system and whatnot, just because I enjoy it, and it can help give a big picture view of law. (BTW, I HIGHLY recommend _the nine_).

This is a good plan. 

I really think that other than the big picture stuff (which is really what all those law preview type programs are designed to give) there's not much you can do to prepare except get ready to read your but off.

Maybe take a speed reading class?

Yeah, all you need is the "big picture stuff," and you shouldn't spend more than a few bucks to learn it either.