Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New US News Rankings...  (Read 21004 times)

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
Re: New US News Rankings...
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »
i guess i was just shocked to see a school take a 13 point jump in the rankings as the difference between a 15-25 school and a 30-45 school (the way i see it, at least) is that the former is a strong national school with a slightly national reach or access to a HUGE market (LA, NY, Chi) rather than the latter which is possibly a lower ranked version of the former, but at least a strong regional school...

i guess i just wonder how IU-B made such a huge jump all of a sudden...

These "rankings" are fake morons.  I find it hilarious that every year people fall for the BS hoaxes.  Look at the LSAC's numbers.  Compare IU, with say GW.  They aren't even close.

GW 75% GPA: 3.86
IU: 3.67

25% GPA
GW: 3.40
IU: 3.03

75% LSAT:
GW: 168
IU: 165

25% LSAT:
GW: 165
IU: 158

Keep dreaming.  IU is not going to jump to 23, GW is not going to jump to 28 nor are half those other moves ever going to happen.

after reading this guy's comments i felt like i had to post something.  I go to IU and the dean of our school confirmed that the rankings are correct.  who's the moron now? the look on your face when you actually see the new rankings is going to be priceless.  haha. 

Is this the same person who said Cornell would become a TTT??  ::)
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »
It somehow seems unprofessional for a dean to discuss leaked rankings before they're published.

I agree. However, they were published. And purchased.

All right, then, before they're released.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2009, 11:23:04 AM »
It somehow seems unprofessional for a dean to discuss leaked rankings before they're published.

What does that have to do with it? They were in public circulation. Through no fault of the dean. Are we really attacking him for -and I'm assuming this is what happened- mentioning that he was happy to see that "our ranking went up and is more in line with where we believe IU should be..." Please.

contrapositive

• Sr. Citizen
  • "your power was given to you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
I'm a 2L at Ga State Univ COL and we got an email today from the Dean in which he stated the US News rankings are released, and touted GSU's rise to 65 from 77.

I think this ranking matches the one on
http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/adjunctprofs/2009/04/us-news-2010-law-school-ratings-leaked-.html

ihatelawscholah1L

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »

The Dean teaches a legal professions class and mentioned that she's been busy because of the US new rankings which she mentioned are legit.  I don't think it's unprofessional for her to mention it. Obviously, the rumors about the rankings have been circulating around our school and i'm sure she's been asked numerous times if they were true. She was one of the main reasons our ranking went up.  The school received enormous donations the past couple of years and she told us at the beginning of the year that they would be used to help raise our national reputation.

I love the school but law school sucks ass, especially finals.

contrapositive

• Sr. Citizen
  • "your power was given to you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »

haha, this sounds like law school.  Get ready for what's the rule? what does "published" mean (at what point is it published), what does "released" mean, what are the facts again?? Oh, I forgot, the magazine authorized law schools to discuss the rankings in their agreement giving the mag access to their school..

good luck next year.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »
Sup all!
  Here is an interesting article as to why this years rankings is so out of control this year...if your curious! lol
  http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/04/22/here-it-is-the-2009-us-news-law-school-ranking/

* As for me.. i'm cool with whatever all I see is graduation lights at the end of the tunnel, and I have love for four special law schools... Each of which has aided to my success! haha

- ciao

Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2009, 03:17:34 AM »
i guess i was just shocked to see a school take a 13 point jump in the rankings as the difference between a 15-25 school and a 30-45 school (the way i see it, at least) is that the former is a strong national school with a slightly national reach or access to a HUGE market (LA, NY, Chi) rather than the latter which is possibly a lower ranked version of the former, but at least a strong regional school...

i guess i just wonder how IU-B made such a huge jump all of a sudden...

These "rankings" are fake morons.  I find it hilarious that every year people fall for the BS hoaxes.  Look at the LSAC's numbers.  Compare IU, with say GW.  They aren't even close.

GW 75% GPA: 3.86
IU: 3.67

25% GPA
GW: 3.40
IU: 3.03

75% LSAT:
GW: 168
IU: 165

25% LSAT:
GW: 165
IU: 158

Keep dreaming.  IU is not going to jump to 23, GW is not going to jump to 28 nor are half those other moves ever going to happen.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/rankings

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2009, 05:34:57 AM »
I'm a 2L at Ga State Univ COL and we got an email today from the Dean in which he stated the US News rankings are released, and touted GSU's rise to 65 from 77.

I think this ranking matches the one on
http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/adjunctprofs/2009/04/us-news-2010-law-school-ratings-leaked-.html

We got an e-mail from our dean, as well.   :-\
<----- 2L @ Mercer

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2009, 08:59:46 AM »
And if anyone is still doubting, the rankings are up on the website now. Please continue guessing why things changed the way they did.