Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New US News Rankings...  (Read 20507 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New US News Rankings...
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »
"a ranking system that promotes schools simply because they've always been of influence and penalizes schools that have not historically dominated is flawed and perverse"

How do you figure.  Like it or not, lawyer hiring is predominantly based on the reputation of the student's legal education.

Yea if they started hiring people because of their actual skillz we all be screwed.

If you think law school gives anyone any real skills you are delusional.  Come on Matthias, you are a reasonable man.  Law school doesn't teach squat.  I have more understanding of the practicalities of legal practice from my current career than I got from law school.

A JD is nothing more than the price of admission to practice law.

Yea, exactly, and some schools are turning out grads who can't prartice, at least T4 grads have hard times getting jobs, but there are morons with a law degree from yale too. 95% of the people I have met should not be lawyers, but are for some reason.

I definitely agree with you on that. Thing is...very little of what you see as an undergrad or on these boards tell you who will be an outstanding law student or lawyer. And, most people shouldn't be lawyers. I always say this (esp. to people like bl825): "LAWYERS ARE BORN, NOT MADE." Most law students do not realize that they were NOT born lawyers. The are doing this b/c it's prestigious, respected, pays well and gives them credibility (of sorts). Some do it for their trust funds. 

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2009, 05:32:15 PM »
"a ranking system that promotes schools simply because they've always been of influence and penalizes schools that have not historically dominated is flawed and perverse"

How do you figure.  Like it or not, lawyer hiring is predominantly based on the reputation of the student's legal education.

Yea if they started hiring people because of their actual skillz we all be screwed.

If you think law school gives anyone any real skills you are delusional.  Come on Matthias, you are a reasonable man.  Law school doesn't teach squat.  I have more understanding of the practicalities of legal practice from my current career than I got from law school.

A JD is nothing more than the price of admission to practice law.

Yea, exactly, and some schools are turning out grads who can't prartice, at least T4 grads have hard times getting jobs, but there are morons with a law degree from yale too. 95% of the people I have met should not be lawyers, but are for some reason.

I definitely agree with you on that. Thing is...very little of what you see as an undergrad or on these boards tell you who will be an outstanding law student or lawyer. And, most people shouldn't be lawyers. I always say this (esp. to people like bl825): "LAWYERS ARE BORN, NOT MADE." Most law students do not realize that they were NOT born lawyers. The are doing this b/c it's prestigious, respected, pays well and gives them credibility (of sorts). Some do it for their trust funds. 

How do you know that lawyers are born, not made?

Cute puppy, by the way.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
Lawyers need what we commonly refer to in the hood as "GAME"...and most people never have it; it's innate. The ability to control others mentally, like I do...that's GAME. If you do not have that one undescribable skill, if you cannot motivate people (whichever way), you have no game. Lawyers need game, and, although, in the rarest of cases, it may be "acquired" through life experience, game requires an ability to tap into people emotionally or motivate them in ways unseen by the naked eye (for better or worse).

Johnny Cochran didn't win cases b/c he was the most brilliant legal scholar in the world, he had game...same with Allan Derschewitz (I know!), and Jerry Spence...

Lawyers, real lawyers, are not that different from entertainers, athletes and movie stars. They are STARS; they have an indescribable ability to "read" people and move people, even when there's little or no reason to be moved.

That's something you are born with, which is what many people on this board will soon find out. No GPA or LSAT, or even bar score, is high enough to give you people skills or the innate ability to manipulate others, like I have been doing to you and others for the past few months. Whether you realize it or not, I control people. That's game.

In the end, it's just my opinion, but one shared by just about every average Joe on the street. There's a reason most lawyers are miserable.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »
Lawyers need what we commonly refer to in the hood as "GAME"...and most people never have it; it's innate. The ability to control others mentally, like I do...that's GAME. If you do not have that one undescribable skill, if you cannot motivate people (whichever way), you have no game. Lawyers need game, and, although, in the rarest of cases, it may be "acquired" through life experience, game requires an ability to tap into people emotionally or motivate them in ways unseen by the naked eye (for better or worse).

Johnny Cochran didn't win cases b/c he was the most brilliant legal scholar in the world, he had game...same with Allan Derschewitz (I know!), and Jerry Spence...

Lawyers, real lawyers, are not that different from entertainers, athletes and movie stars. They are STARS; they have an indescribable ability to "read" people and move people, even when there's little or no reason to be moved.

That's something you are born with, which is what many people on this board will soon find out. No GPA or LSAT, or even bar score, is high enough to give you people skills or the innate ability to manipulate others, like I have been doing to you and others for the past few months. Whether you realize it or not, I control people. That's game.

In the end, it's just my opinion, but one shared by just about every average Joe on the street. There's a reason most lawyers are miserable.

How do you know it's shared by just about every average Joe on the street?  Have you taken a poll or are you just making some kind of "common sense" claim?
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2009, 06:20:14 PM »
I'll take that bet any day.  Emory's numbers are around the same as GW's. If GW dropped, so too would Emory.

Most importantly, IU would not ever be 23 in any realm of the world.

There are other factors that go into the rankings.  GPA/LSAT for admitted students plays only a small part.

I think it is ridiculous that GWU is not in the top-20, but that's just USN&WR being stupid.  It's not the rankings being fake.
Emory 2L
LSN

ihatelawscholah1L

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »
i guess i was just shocked to see a school take a 13 point jump in the rankings as the difference between a 15-25 school and a 30-45 school (the way i see it, at least) is that the former is a strong national school with a slightly national reach or access to a HUGE market (LA, NY, Chi) rather than the latter which is possibly a lower ranked version of the former, but at least a strong regional school...

i guess i just wonder how IU-B made such a huge jump all of a sudden...

These "rankings" are fake morons.  I find it hilarious that every year people fall for the BS hoaxes.  Look at the LSAC's numbers.  Compare IU, with say GW.  They aren't even close.

GW 75% GPA: 3.86
IU: 3.67

25% GPA
GW: 3.40
IU: 3.03

75% LSAT:
GW: 168
IU: 165

25% LSAT:
GW: 165
IU: 158

Keep dreaming.  IU is not going to jump to 23, GW is not going to jump to 28 nor are half those other moves ever going to happen.

after reading this guy's comments i felt like i had to post something.  I go to IU and the dean of our school confirmed that the rankings are correct.  who's the moron now? the look on your face when you actually see the new rankings is going to be priceless.  haha. 

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2009, 10:39:16 AM »
It somehow seems unprofessional for a dean to discuss leaked rankings before they're published.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2009, 10:47:37 AM »
It somehow seems unprofessional for a dean to discuss leaked rankings before they're published.

Hmm as unprofessional as a future law students illegally posting photos of copy righted materials on internet of the rankings before they are relapsed? Maybe the dean will give the TLS poster a special Ethical Achievment scholarship to IUB. :)
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »
It seems like of tacky to address the rankings at all.  But reality, I guess.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »

I agree. However, they were published. And purchased.