Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New US News Rankings...  (Read 20116 times)

JayCLS

• View Profile
Re: New US News Rankings...
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 02:20:01 PM »
Any predictions in the mean time?

how about predictions in nice time?
Yale will be #1 :)

More seriously, I did hear Columbia was going to sink to #9 I think from Leiter's blog who knows it might have been an apirl fool's day thing though.

That was an April Fools Day joke prepared by the Columbia Student Senate.

kman999

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »
wow the columbia student senate is a real barrel of laughs

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 02:16:42 PM »
http://lawschoolheadlines.com/?p=226 has pretty extensive coverage.

UConn's movement is pretty shocking.  Also, SMU Part-time at 46  :o

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 05:53:45 PM »
IU-B...

makes me wonder if i should stay on the waitlist...

any thoughts...?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
IU-B...

any thoughts...?

2010 rankings are not going to matter when you graduate in 2012. They will move around between now and then, and its not going to change anything in the eyes of employers, no one is going to stop hiring from there nor starting hiring from there if they did not in the past. Individual resumes will get looked at, but its not going to make a class of resumes that were never conidered be considred now. Hiring partners don't sit around with a big marker cross checking with USNEWS each year to decide who's in and who's out, so don't sweat year to year moves unless the school drops a tier every year for the next three, that might single something to worry about.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 06:02:51 PM »
IU-B...

any thoughts...?

2010 rankings are not going to matter when you graduate in 2012. They will move around between now and then, and its not going to change anything in the eyes of employers, no one is going to stop hiring from there nor starting hiring from there if they did not in the past. Individual resumes will get looked at, but its not going to make a class of resumes that were never conidered be considred now. Hiring partners don't sit around with a big marker cross checking with USNEWS each year to decide who's in and who's out, so don't sweat year to year moves unless the school drops a tier every year for the next three, that might single something to worry about.

this.

Also, they're both nice college towns, but I think you and the wifey would have more fun taking weekend trips to Atlanta instead of Indy or Louisville imo. 
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
IU-B...

any thoughts...?

I'm probably not going to post here again for awhile, but your decision is incredibly easy (if you aren't completely set on practicing in NC).  Take the money and go to UGA.
Emory 2L
LSN

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »
IU-B...

any thoughts...?

this.

Also, they're both nice college towns, but I think you and the wifey would have more fun taking weekend trips to Atlanta instead of Indy or Louisville imo. 

Weekend trips?

Really?

Just out of curiosity, how many law students are taking "weekend trips"?

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »
Well in Georgia for example since that's what I'm talking about- people in Athens like to go to Atlanta because the shopping is better (which is what I was thinking of when I suggested this to Trev and his wife).  Also, people at Emory go to Athens for the football games.  It's like a 45 minute drive so it's really not a big deal to take a day off from what I understand.  I just assumed the situation would be similar at IU-B
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »
IU-B...

any thoughts...?

this.

Weekend trips?

Really?

Just out of curiosity, how many law students are taking "weekend trips"?

I did Fri-Sun or Monday trips to Beaver Creek, Keystone (3 times) breck (2 times) plus a bunch of day trips to winter park just this semster. You can take your books/laptop with you if you want.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.