Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PMBR + Barbri?  (Read 2988 times)

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
PMBR + Barbri?
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »
Hey,

I am having trouble finding a search button on these forums, so I'll just ask this question again.  I am taking the bar in July.  Would you recommend taking Barbri and the Kaplan PMBR?  If so, which PMBR (e.g. 3 day, 6 day, 9 day)?

Thanks!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: PMBR + Barbri?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:32:43 PM »
Hey,

I am having trouble finding a search button on these forums, so I'll just ask this question again.  I am taking the bar in July.  Would you recommend taking Barbri and the Kaplan PMBR?  If so, which PMBR (e.g. 3 day, 6 day, 9 day)?

Thanks!

I'm taking both, not sure wich lenght PMBR yet though, whatver the $1200 one is I think
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »
Get one or both of the PMBR books from amazon or ebay and skip the course. Go to Barbri and take good notes, review the notes in the evening and practice writing lots of essays. Do a lot of barbri and PMBR multiple choice to get a feel for different types of questions and nail the law down in your head.  If you do this,you'll pass the bar. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:17:59 PM »
I did just BarBri, and got the PMBR books on half.com.  I hardly used the PMBR stuff, and passed with more than a little room to spare relying pretty much solely on BarBri and flashcards I made. 

I absolutely agree with the general approach described by jimmyjohn.  I did the same (except for the PMBR questions, obviously, since I got the books and didn't use them), and passed.

On a side note, PM me if you're interested in getting PMBR stuff for cheap...mine have been sitting in the corner of my office since early June and I want to get rid of them.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:59:31 AM »
Cool, thanks for the advice guys. I actually have the PMBR books and audio CDs, so maybe Iíll just skip the class. I am definitely taking Barbri though. Right now Iím also taking my schools bar review class (just covers MBE subjects) so Iím working through the Rigos Bar Review books and questions because I want to save the barbri stuff for the class (so the questions arenít old for me).
I do have a question though, on rule statements do I need to know them word for word, like say the definition of larceny, or can I put them in my own words so long as I include all the elements? Iím not a big fan of some of the longer rule statements in the Rigos book, Iíd rather make my own if thatís possible.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
Barbri = Needed

PMBR 9 days = Never heard of it

PMBR 6 days = Don't need it.  But, buy the books on ebay, amazon, etc. and practice them.  Their questions are harder than Barbri and more similiar to actual MBE questions.

PMBR 3 days = worth it. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »
Cool, thanks for the advice guys. I actually have the PMBR books and audio CDs, so maybe Iíll just skip the class. I am definitely taking Barbri though. Right now Iím also taking my schools bar review class (just covers MBE subjects) so Iím working through the Rigos Bar Review books and questions because I want to save the barbri stuff for the class (so the questions arenít old for me).
I do have a question though, on rule statements do I need to know them word for word, like say the definition of larceny, or can I put them in my own words so long as I include all the elements? Iím not a big fan of some of the longer rule statements in the Rigos book, Iíd rather make my own if thatís possible.

I think you need to know the "buzz" words for each element, but you don't need to know it rote.  Even without the buzz words, if your "content" is correct, that would be fine.  But generally, if you get the buzz words in there, the grader won't have to read your essays as closely, and will be more likely to just check off the points as they skim along.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 10:26:23 AM »

I think you need to know the "buzz" words for each element, but you don't need to know it rote.  Even without the buzz words, if your "content" is correct, that would be fine.  But generally, if you get the buzz words in there, the grader won't have to read your essays as closely, and will be more likely to just check off the points as they skim along.

Ok, cool, yea I have made sure I havbe all the buzz words, thanks Jacy!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 01:08:04 PM »
I got the PMBR books also... but won't be able to attend the classes b/c i'm starting my LL.M program fulltime during the 6 day class... the 3 day class i'll probibly go to during most of the day.. then I have to hurry to Temple for my night classes. Either way I have the books and when I spoke to them on the phone... they said that I can watch the lectures for the 6day online...
   Barbri is really all I need, but I just wanted to have both options open to me in case I wanted to try it.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!