Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cal Western or Thomas J  (Read 34856 times)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: Cal Western or Thomas J
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2009, 02:48:54 AM »
New rankings (leak) have USD at 61, so looks like they've righted their ship!

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2009, 06:10:18 PM »
I love the input. Its much appreciated!!

I understand that USD and other California schools will be competing hard for job placement in such an ideal environment like San Diego. Having said that, asusming I attend Cal Western, is there anything I can gear up for/mindset I can take on, or any other advice regarding myself trying to have an edge with a JD from Cal Western over graduates with more prestigious degrees?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
I love the input. Its much appreciated!!

I understand that USD and other California schools will be competing hard for job placement in such an ideal environment like San Diego. Having said that, asusming I attend Cal Western, is there anything I can gear up for/mindset I can take on, or any other advice regarding myself trying to have an edge with a JD from Cal Western over graduates with more prestigious degrees?

My advice, same as always: Networking from day one. Who you know can beat where you go, if you know the right people. Avoid at all costs being in a cold mailed resume war with someone from a higher ranked school. Try and get to the point that your mentors handle the introductions and get you in the door. Personal recommendations beat unknown resumes from higher ranked schools if those recommendations come from someone they know and trust. Also get that Kimm Walton book and read it.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
I am of the opinion that to get a job you must be outstanding.  Which just means you have to stand out.  There are lots of ways to do so.  Going to a great school is an obvious one.  Having great grades is another.  Being on Law Review, being on Moot Court etc. etc.

Every job interview I've had, we wind up talking about music because I have the fact that I was professional drummer on my resume.  To get a job you must be #1 qualified enough to get an interview #2 memorable enough at the interview to continue standing out in the employer's mind and #3 likeable enough that people can imagine working with you and not hating your guts.

Cloud'nBolt

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2009, 12:21:07 AM »
To the 3Ls and Matthies: Thank you! This thread is finally turning into what it should be. it was worth it all, Thanks again. :)

LS_Elisabeth

• AOL Instant Messenger - Shespiecesofu
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
Yikes, I just spent roughly 30 minutes reading through this entire thread! However, I'm not sure why I bothered reading Ninja's posts- I'm disturbed by the fact that someone attending a Tier 2 law school can act so childish and insecure. He wasted time he could have devoted to studying and instead reverted to a worse than high school mentality by putting down random strangers on the internet. Ninja, you must have been tormented in grade school.

Anyway, I'm going to Thomas Jefferson this fall (despite the negative remarks about the institution from people who know nothing about the law school). The new campus is going to be amazing, and I'm extremely excited! I found the latter posts on this thread very helpful- so thank you to everyone who gave input! I'll be sure to start networking from day 1.
Elisabeth

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2009, 04:56:58 AM »
Yikes, I just spent roughly 30 minutes reading through this entire thread! However, I'm not sure why I bothered reading Ninja's posts- I'm disturbed by the fact that someone attending a Tier 2 law school can act so childish and insecure. He wasted time he could have devoted to studying and instead reverted to a worse than high school mentality by putting down random strangers on the internet. Ninja, you must have been tormented in grade school.

Anyway, I'm going to Thomas Jefferson this fall (despite the negative remarks about the institution from people who know nothing about the law school). The new campus is going to be amazing, and I'm extremely excited! I found the latter posts on this thread very helpful- so thank you to everyone who gave input! I'll be sure to start networking from day 1.

You read my posts because they're some of the only interesting ones. Nothing childish or insecure about them, just the truth, which happens to not jive well with your purchasing decision (not that you probably had much in the way of options).
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

LS_Elisabeth

• AOL Instant Messenger - Shespiecesofu
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
My purchasing decision? I'm actually going to Thomas Jefferson on a scholarship.
Ninja, these posts ARE childish and out of pure insecurity. Anyone in law school should be able to figure that out.
But oh well, that's your problem. I feel sorry for you.
Plus, stop acting like FSU is of Harvard caliber. You're not that "better" than the rest of us.
Elisabeth

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2009, 08:04:26 PM »
My purchasing decision? I'm actually going to Thomas Jefferson on a scholarship.
Ninja, these posts ARE childish and out of pure insecurity. Anyone in law school should be able to figure that out.
Plus, stop acting like FSU is of Harvard caliber. You're not that "better" than the rest of us.

Still, you make your JD bed and get to lay in it, even if it costs you less. Scholarships won't save you from shitlaw.

I, unlike you, am in law school, so save the "anyone in law school" lines for another few months, you ain't there yet.

Any amount of insecurity and childishness you're "detecting" is simply coming from the projection of your own decisions about where to attend school. Don't feel sorry for me, I go to one of the three best schools in Florida while you'll be going to the third best school (and a stand alone school at that) in San Diego. If anyone needs some sympathy, it's not me.

I never said FSU was of Harvard caliber (our athletics are clearly superior ;)), but compared to TJ, it might as well be Harvard.

And it's "You're not that much "better" than the rest of us" or "You're not that "better" than the rest of us". Word choice and grammar are important in the legal field, you might learn that at TJ, but probably not. HTH
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2009, 08:27:27 PM »

Still, you make your JD bed and get to lay in it, even if it costs you less. Scholarships won't save you from shitlaw.

I, unlike you, am in law school, so save the "anyone in law school" lines for another few months, you ain't there yet.

Any amount of insecurity and childishness you're "detecting" is simply coming from the projection of your own decisions about where to attend school. Don't feel sorry for me, I go to one of the three best schools in Florida while you'll be going to the third best school (and a stand alone school at that) in San Diego. If anyone needs some sympathy, it's not me.

I never said FSU was of Harvard caliber (our athletics are clearly superior ;)), but compared to TJ, it might as well be Harvard.

And it's "You're not that much "better" than the rest of us" or "You're not that "better" than the rest of us". Word choice and grammar are important in the legal field, you might learn that at TJ, but probably not. HTH

I have to agree with Elisabeth: you are being childish.  ::)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.