Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cal Western or Thomas J  (Read 34891 times)

Cloud'nBolt

• View Profile
Cal Western or Thomas J
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »
Ive been accepted to both for Fall 09. Still undecided as to where I should go, here is what I am considering:
Cal Western Pros
   (1) Highest bar passage rate in San Diego 85%
   (2) Very nice library
   (3) Down town location
   (4) Oldest law school in SD
   (5) Well respected in the community
   (6) At least some of the faculty are awesome (like Paul Gudel-Contracts)
   (7) Moot Court room amazing
Cal Western Cons
   (1) 13% dont make the grades and are kicked out after first year, higher rate of academic       attrition than USD(3%), Thomas J. (4%).
   (2) Parking hard to find
   (3) Not offering me a scholarship

Thomas Jefferson Pros
   (1) Student satisfaction higher than USD and Cal W
   (2) Relocation in 2010 to state-of-the-art 8 story building downtown
   (3) Scholarship
   (4) Friendly staff and faculty
   (5) Rising Bar passage rate to above California average
   (6) Innovative programs for Law school success and Bar passage
Thomas Jefferson Cons
   (1) Ranked the lowest in San Diego compared to Cal W and San Diego
   (2) Lowest Bar passage rate than the other two SD law schools

If anyone can add to any part of my list, id be grateful

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cal Western or Thomas J
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »
Cal Western
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Cloud'nBolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
Im afraid you are incorrect in your assessment TJ Troll, about both schools. First off, I never said that TJSL had an attrition rate of 4% after 3 years, I said 4% were kicked out after their FIRST YEAR because they didnt make grades (Please go back and check).

A common mistake that you and a lot of others make when looking at attrition rates come from not distinguishing between students that left for Academic reasons, and students that left for Other reasons. Let me give you two relevant examples:

Cal Western
After 1L
~12% (39 people) forced to leave due to academic reasons
~18% (60 people) left for other reasons
After 2L &3L
2 people forced to leave due to academic reasons
15 people leave for Other reasons

Thomas J
After 1L
~4% (20 people) forced to leave due to academic reasons
~6% (30 people) left for other reasons
After 2L & 3L
5 people leave due to academics
34 people leave for other reasons

(if you would like to know my math, feel free to check)
TJSL: -20(academic) -30(other)= -50 (11% out)4% Academic Attrition
Cal W: -39(academic) -60(other)= -99 (30%out)..12% Academic Attrition
USD: -9(academic) -29(other)= -38 (11%out).3% Academic Attrition

Thomas J  http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4973.pdf
Cal Western: http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4802.pdf
USD: http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4849.pdf

Ive seen your post history, and know your opinions on Tier 4 schools. But if your going to make a habit at bashing schools like Cal Western and Thomas J, you should at least get better at it, and get your info right.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:52:53 PM »
TJ Troll is right, they both have horrible attrition and the T4 is a godforsaken mess. And really, he's right that neither is the best option. My earlier opinion was based on the choice between the two, but neither is TITCR.

mooms

• View Profile
Trust your judgment
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:59:07 AM »
Why, pray tell, do you rely on the advice of annonymous bloggers who do not have a vested interest in your future?  You've made some solid observations.  Lesson 1 of law school:  take the facts, analyze, and reach a conclusion.  Instead of wasting your energy writing an exegesis on why a buffoon is a buffoon, pay attention to yourself, and your feelings on where is a better fit.  The best thing I ever did was disregard the stupidity of the posturing on this board and enroll at the school whose modus operandi best jibed with mine.  If I were to help prospectives, I'd yell this from the rooftop and get rid of useless "Which is a better school?" threads.  You'll understand soon enough. 

Good luck and congratulations on getting accepted! 

Cloud'nBolt

• View Profile
Re: Trust your judgment
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:35:30 AM »
Why, pray tell, do you rely on the advice of annonymous bloggers who do not have a vested interest in your future?  You've made some solid observations.  Lesson 1 of law school:  take the facts, analyze, and reach a conclusion.  Instead of wasting your energy writing an exegesis on why a buffoon is a buffoon, pay attention to yourself, and your feelings on where is a better fit.  The best thing I ever did was disregard the stupidity of the posturing on this board and enroll at the school whose modus operandi best jibed with mine.  If I were to help prospectives, I'd yell this from the rooftop and get rid of useless "Which is a better school?" threads.  You'll understand soon enough. 

Its not that im relying on any one persons  information, but rather trying to expand my understanding by looking at others perspectives. I dont feel that I have wasted my time however, I genuinely had a good time exposing the weaknesses in his argument. Thank you for your advise, in the past, the people that have given me the best advise, have said exactly that.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:00:43 AM »

Its not that im relying on any one persons  information, but rather trying to expand my understanding by looking at others perspectives. I dont feel that I have wasted my time however, I genuinely had a good time exposing the weaknesses in his argument. Thank you for your advise, in the past, the people that have given me the best advise, have said exactly that.

His argument actually looked pretty sound to me.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 01:02:05 AM »
As a resident of San Diego, I vote neither as well.  Its like choosing between slamming your schlong in a car door or dry humping a cheesegrater, neither can end very well.

But I do love when people passionately defend the worst schools and get all pissy when someone points out the truth.  OP doesn't want to hear anything bad, he justs wants someone to hold his hand while he commits suicide.  Notice there is no one posting anything positive here unless they either attend or have to attend one of these hell holes because they have no better options.  Get your jumpsuits and Nikes together, the mothership will be here soon!

Oh, and by the way, nice Gettysburg address sized posts discussing how you got your feelings hurt when someone used a harsh tone telling you the truth about these schools.  I hope no one is mean in law school or makes the mistake of telling you something you can't bear to hear, cuz you write one hell of a unabomber manifesto! (copying other people's posts and keeping them in a WORD file = PSYCHO).

Hi TJ Troll, good to see you again. I knew you couldnt resist.

I think Reality's is actually the sentiment of most of the people here.

Cloud'nBolt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 02:07:44 AM »
As a resident of San Diego, I vote neither as well.  Its like choosing between slamming your schlong in a car door or dry humping a cheesegrater, neither can end very well.

But I do love when people passionately defend the worst schools and get all pissy when someone points out the truth.  OP doesn't want to hear anything bad, he justs wants someone to hold his hand while he commits suicide.  Notice there is no one posting anything positive here unless they either attend or have to attend one of these hell holes because they have no better options.  Get your jumpsuits and Nikes together, the mothership will be here soon!

Oh, and by the way, nice Gettysburg address sized posts discussing how you got your feelings hurt when someone used a harsh tone telling you the truth about these schools.  I hope no one is mean in law school or makes the mistake of telling you something you can't bear to hear, cuz you write one hell of a unabomber manifesto! (copying other people's posts and keeping them in a WORD file = PSYCHO).

Hi TJ Troll, good to see you again. I knew you couldnt resist.
::) Yeah...um, Ok.  There's one lone gunman who knows these schools are horrible.  I can't believe I reread your rambling posts just to find out that TJ Troll was the focus of your incoherent novella.  I checked out these posts because they were making fun of them on xoxohth.com.  It's more sad then funny.  I will now kill self for spending time here and knowing that I'm now far dumber for the effort.

Making fun? i could use a good laugh, would you mind posting the link TJ Troll?

mooms

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 04:54:08 AM »
You're certainly welcome on the advice.  I was too stubborn to believe it when I was in your position, but thankfully older, trustworthy friends who had been there and done that guided me to the simple realization.  Again, congratulations, and get to the bottom of the M.O. question.  Therein lies the answer, and you will thank me in a year.