Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: On Mexico  (Read 698 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
On Mexico
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:33:47 PM »
I'm thinking it's about time to invade. They clearly can't hold their own *&^% together and if we're going to dump a bunch of money into a hole, it might as well be into somewhere on our continent.

Thoughts?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: On Mexico
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »
P.S. You Canucks had better keep Quebec in line...

And while we're here, what the @#!* does canuck mean?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »
We already did that in the 19th century. I think they are still kind of pissed about it.

But you forget that the Mexican drug wars can only exist because of American consumption of drugs. We are throwing a bucket of water on the fire with one hand and a bucket of gasoline with the other.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »
I always hear that point about America's consumption being part of the problem. Why hasnt Canada turned into a lawless country with a corrupt government and jeeps full of gunmen? It's not Americans that like drugs...its humans! Are you saying that people in America should stop doing drugs just because Mexico can't keep a country together? That's ridiculous! (/sarcasm)
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 03:10:48 PM »
I always hear that point about America's consumption being part of the problem. Why hasnt Canada turned into a lawless country with a corrupt government and jeeps full of gunmen? It's not Americans that like drugs...its humans! Are you saying that people in America should stop doing drugs just because Mexico can't keep a country together? That's ridiculous!

Because Canada, by virtue of location, is not one of the main arteries for the drug trade. Canadian consumption also adds to the demand for Latin American drugs, but not to the same degree by virtue of a smaller population. Besides, I never said drugs made the government corrupt- it was corrupt even before drug prohibition. However, the fact that it is corrupt and ineffective means that it can't control the drug trade now that it's there. If by some miracle everyone just stopped doing drugs, the drug wars WOULD stop, though the Mexican government probably wouldn't be much less corrupt.

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
I agree that America fuels the problem with drug consumption and guns, but I think the Mexican government has basically failed at every level, both before and during the current situation. Canada is still a major point of entry for drugs into the US, but they've always had at least a passable government that works.

We did invade once, and they are still pissed (Mexicans will jokingly tell you that they're buying all the land they lost back, but enough of them say it I think they're kind of serious about it), but I think they could use another round. I would say we should just conquer the whole thing (would create a smaller southern land border...), but the place is such a *&^% hole, I don't think we'd want to spend the vast amounts of time and money needed to fix it.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 05:16:24 PM »
I always hear that point about America's consumption being part of the problem. Why hasnt Canada turned into a lawless country with a corrupt government and jeeps full of gunmen? It's not Americans that like drugs...its humans! Are you saying that people in America should stop doing drugs just because Mexico can't keep a country together? That's ridiculous!

Because Canada, by virtue of location, is not one of the main arteries for the drug trade. Canadian consumption also adds to the demand for Latin American drugs, but not to the same degree by virtue of a smaller population. Besides, I never said drugs made the government corrupt- it was corrupt even before drug prohibition. However, the fact that it is corrupt and ineffective means that it can't control the drug trade now that it's there. If by some miracle everyone just stopped doing drugs, the drug wars WOULD stop, though the Mexican government probably wouldn't be much less corrupt.

I agree.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
america's biggest mistake was not annexing mexico outright

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:29:31 PM »
america's biggest mistake was not annexing mexico outright

Agreed.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:37:41 PM »
"It has to do with the fact that our border is the border with the largest drug market in the world and with the main producer and seller of guns in the world," he added.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash