Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: D in Calculus...major problem?  (Read 4334 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: D in Calculus...major problem?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
I feel like you have a good reason for bad grades that semester, it's even a reason the adcomms might respect (you rising to a challenge). If you can take your post and slim it down to just a paragraph or two, it would be worth including as an adendum. Otherwise, they could just look at your grades and think you are a flake...
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 01:22:45 AM »
Alright, question.  My overall GPA is a 3.48.  However, if you only look at my first semester freshman year, sophomore year, first semester junior year, and my senior year (everything but second semester freshman and second semester junior), I have a 3.75.  The reason is this:

Freshman year, after a strong first semester, I got into a serious relationship, caught the freshman year party animal bug, got cocky about school, didn't go to required recitations, and was thus penalized with a C and a B-.  I got A's in my two other classes.

The next year and a half went really well, and I decided I needed to challenge myself.  I hadn't taken a math since high school, when I got a 5 on Ap Calc.  I decided to take the next level of calculus as a Pass/D/Fail course, as I had no need of the class, knew it was statistically the hardest class offered at UNC (meaning most failed, not hardest material), and would be taking 18 hours, including Calc.  Unfortunately, despite receiving above average scores on the midterms and homeworks, I was looking at a D going into the final.  They do not curve, so, just to clarify, the average grade in the class was a D. I studied my ass off for the comprehensive exam, so much so that I didn't have time to study for my other classes, which I had been doing A work in.  I ended up getting a D on the final and a D in calculus, along with many others in the class.  My grades in the other classes suffered because I allocated so much time to calculus.  I ended up with a D, a B, 3 B+'s, and an A-.  I did well last semester and am looking at all A's this semester.

So, my question really is, does this completely screw my upward trend?  Will they analyze the numbers and look leniently on me, or am I screwed for getting a D.  I was trying to challenge myself and go beyond the required to prove myself.  Instead I just proved that I'm a moron.  Should I write a letter with applications?  Just let it go?  A 3.48 doesn't look that bad, but I really don't think I'm a 3.48 student.  6/8 semesters I've been a 3.7 student, and it would have been 7/8 if I'd not been a moron and taken calculus and 8/8 if I hadn't turned into a worthless scumbag my second semester freshman year.  Advice?

Addendum. Explain this in an addendum.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:41:53 AM »
^
I wish i could match your eloquence.

credited.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:44:16 AM »
^

credited.

Thanks, duder. Hey, will I be seeing you in Cornell this weekend?
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:47 AM »
^

credited.

Thanks, duder. Hey, will I be seeing you in Cornell this weekend?

you betcha! ;)
LSN