Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: D in Calculus...major problem?  (Read 4176 times)

whitman

• View Profile
    • Email
D in Calculus...major problem?
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
Alright, question.  My overall GPA is a 3.48.  However, if you only look at my first semester freshman year, sophomore year, first semester junior year, and my senior year (everything but second semester freshman and second semester junior), I have a 3.75.  The reason is this:

Freshman year, after a strong first semester, I got into a serious relationship, caught the freshman year party animal bug, got cocky about school, didn't go to required recitations, and was thus penalized with a C and a B-.  I got A's in my two other classes.

The next year and a half went really well, and I decided I needed to challenge myself.  I hadn't taken a math since high school, when I got a 5 on Ap Calc.  I decided to take the next level of calculus as a Pass/D/Fail course, as I had no need of the class, knew it was statistically the hardest class offered at UNC (meaning most failed, not hardest material), and would be taking 18 hours, including Calc.  Unfortunately, despite receiving above average scores on the midterms and homeworks, I was looking at a D going into the final.  They do not curve, so, just to clarify, the average grade in the class was a D. I studied my ass off for the comprehensive exam, so much so that I didn't have time to study for my other classes, which I had been doing A work in.  I ended up getting a D on the final and a D in calculus, along with many others in the class.  My grades in the other classes suffered because I allocated so much time to calculus.  I ended up with a D, a B, 3 B+'s, and an A-.  I did well last semester and am looking at all A's this semester.

So, my question really is, does this completely screw my upward trend?  Will they analyze the numbers and look leniently on me, or am I screwed for getting a D.  I was trying to challenge myself and go beyond the required to prove myself.  Instead I just proved that I'm a moron.  Should I write a letter with applications?  Just let it go?  A 3.48 doesn't look that bad, but I really don't think I'm a 3.48 student.  6/8 semesters I've been a 3.7 student, and it would have been 7/8 if I'd not been a moron and taken calculus and 8/8 if I hadn't turned into a worthless scumbag my second semester freshman year.  Advice?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: D in Calculus...major problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:03 PM »
Alright, question.  My overall GPA is a 3.48.  However, if you only look at my first semester freshman year, sophomore year, first semester junior year, and my senior year (everything but second semester freshman and second semester junior), I have a 3.75.  The reason is this:

Freshman year, after a strong first semester, I got into a serious relationship, caught the freshman year party animal bug, got cocky about school, didn't go to required recitations, and was thus penalized with a C and a B-.  I got A's in my two other classes.

The next year and a half went really well, and I decided I needed to challenge myself.  I hadn't taken a math since high school, when I got a 5 on Ap Calc.  I decided to take the next level of calculus as a Pass/D/Fail course, as I had no need of the class, knew it was statistically the hardest class offered at UNC (meaning most failed, not hardest material), and would be taking 18 hours, including Calc.  Unfortunately, despite receiving above average scores on the midterms and homeworks, I was looking at a D going into the final.  They do not curve, so, just to clarify, the average grade in the class was a D. I studied my ass off for the comprehensive exam, so much so that I didn't have time to study for my other classes, which I had been doing A work in.  I ended up getting a D on the final and a D in calculus, along with many others in the class.  My grades in the other classes suffered because I allocated so much time to calculus.  I ended up with a D, a B, 3 B+'s, and an A-.  I did well last semester and am looking at all A's this semester.

So, my question really is, does this completely screw my upward trend?  Will they analyze the numbers and look leniently on me, or am I screwed for getting a D.  I was trying to challenge myself and go beyond the required to prove myself.  Instead I just proved that I'm a moron.  Should I write a letter with applications?  Just let it go?  A 3.48 doesn't look that bad, but I really don't think I'm a 3.48 student.  6/8 semesters I've been a 3.7 student, and it would have been 7/8 if I'd not been a moron and taken calculus and 8/8 if I hadn't turned into a worthless scumbag my second semester freshman year.  Advice?

You should be fine, that's still a decent enough GPA for most everywhere, especially if you have a strong LSAT.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

whitman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »
should I write a note about it and try to explain?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »
should I write a note about it and try to explain?

Nah. They'll probably see the transcript and put 2 and 2 together. Plus, it's not like you have some good story about being shipped to Iraq or a relative dying or something, just the "I discovered girls and partying and I took a hard class" one that probably explains most people's bad grades in UG. And like I said, your GPA is still good for almost everywhere. It's not like you have a 2.x that you need to explain.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »

I really don't think I'm a 3.48 student.  6/8 semesters I've been a 3.7 student, and it would have been 7/8 if I'd not been a moron and taken calculus and 8/8 if I hadn't turned into a worthless scumbag my second semester freshman year.  Advice?

My advice is quit making excuses.  Not to sound like a jerk, but your GPA is what it is... all of the could haves and should haves in the world aren't going to raise it up one bit.  Just roll with it... if you have a high enough LSAT, you'll be fine anyway.

Just out of morbid curiosity, what on earth possessed you to "prove yourself" by taking the most-failed class offered when it wasn't even required?  I could go throw myself on a bed of spikes to prove I am tough... but I'll only end up bleeding.   ;)
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 11:16:06 PM »
You have a 169 LSAT, right?  You reeeeeeeeeeally don't need to worry about it, your numbers are really strong otherwise.  I failed Stats and did fine with admissions (though granted, I wasn't looking at quite the same echelon of schools as you are).  I don't think you need to bother with writing an addendum about that one class, for the reasons stated by previous posters.
Fed gov't atty

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
It will only hurt you to the extent that it brought down your GPA.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

whitman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
Thanks guys.  I guess I expected you to say exactly what you did, but I still torture myself over these past stupidities. I really do need to stop making excuses and just move on, but it's one of those easier said than done things.  It still kills me to think about how easy it would have been to just not take that calculus class.  I mean, so easy.  But yeah, I gotta move on.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
I failed Intro to Logic, got a 3.37, and still got into Michigan.

A slip up here or there, even a year of slip ups, isn't fatal.
_______
.|E|R|S.

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »

Where are you trying to go? What's your LSAT? 3.48 is a respectable GPA regardless and as long as you do well on the LSAT you're fine. I only have around a 3.3 and got a D in LOGIC of all things  and I got into a top 50 (i'm not a URM either) so you should be a-ok. I would say you may not be able to go to a t14 but if you get in the 170's you probably could even swing that from what I've seen around here.