Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA vs. W&M vs. GMU  (Read 3118 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UVA vs. W&M vs. GMU
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »
$36,800 in-state

$41,800 out-of-state.

yeah.....$$$$ even for in-staters, lol. But apparently, UVA is a public school with no state support whatever that means (well, whatever it means, its not good for me)

I think Michigan is the same way.

I think all three top public law schools are like that, including UVA, UM, and Boalt.   

I wonder how much tuition is for UCLA for instate and out-state.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/

$27k instate, $38k out of state. Decent by CA standards.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »
$36,800 in-state

$41,800 out-of-state.

yeah.....$$$$ even for in-staters, lol. But apparently, UVA is a public school with no state support whatever that means (well, whatever it means, its not good for me)

These public schools, even the Tier two ones, will cost well above for tuition alone, not counting books, rents, living expenses, etc.  It can easily add up to $200K for a JD and then no job. 

I think Michigan is the same way.

I think all three top public law schools are like that, including UVA, UM, and Boalt.   

I wonder how much tuition is for UCLA for instate and out-state.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/

$27k instate, $38k out of state. Decent by CA standards.

natie86

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 08:48:38 AM »
Anyone else want to add their opinion?

Michelephant

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »
I would've been in that same position had I been accepted off the waitlist at UVA (I know that's probably not going not going to happen, but whatever  ::) lol). 

I'd choose UVA IN A HEARTBEAT!

(and that's not because I'm already a Wahoo)

The portability of the degree, the prestige that comes with it is valuable. There are lots that would argue that the debt isn't worth it, but I would take the chance.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »
I would've been in that same position had I been accepted off the waitlist at UVA (I know that's probably not going not going to happen, but whatever  ::) lol). 

I'd choose UVA IN A HEARTBEAT!

(and that's not because I'm already a Wahoo)

The portability of the degree, the prestige that comes with it is valuable. There are lots that would argue that the debt isn't worth it, but I would take the chance.

If you got accepted to UVA, you should have been accepted to schools such as Duke and Cornell. Did you not apply to those? 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
I cannot believe this question is even being asked, $cholars$hip$ (or not) being somewhat equal. In fact, GMU and W & M would have to give me everything but a Bentley to get me to go there over UVA. Come to think of it, they'd have to come off of the Bentley too. CONVERTABLE! lol.

And it isn't about ranking, hut sheer quality of education, esp. when you consider that GMU is a conservative institution. It is a highly specialized school culturally. You have to be in a certain mindframe to thrive there. But if you're a bleedingheart evangelical or a Rush-L deciple, it might be great. I couldn't do it. Go to UVA!

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »
Easy and obvious choice. UVA.

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:13:49 PM »
Go to UVA. GMU shouldn't even be an option. W&M would be of consideration only if they gave you a full-ride. So, go to UVA.
"I want an anti-gravity machine. I saw it in a movie. You drink the potion, and then you just start floating all around"

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »
What is it you want to do? That matters a lot. I agree that UVA is a great school - I nearly went there myself, but what specifically you intend to do matters. If what would likely be a more motivated student body and a better name brand wouldn't do you much good, then you probably aren't going to be making a ton of $$ and you might be much better off with less debt to worry about. On the other hand, if you intend to go after big law, I would guess that the ROI for the higher cost of UVA would be well worth it. If you are interested in academia UVA is the only real choice here. If you are really serious about softball then UVA is the place to be too:)

If you have a particular interest in law and econ or public choice work, then GMU would be worth a hard look.

So, if I had to decide without the information really needed to make a solid choice, I'd go with UVA, but I don't think it is correct to say it is without a doubt the best choice for you.
HLS 2010

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 03:34:22 AM »
Yeah...these schools are a little too far apart in prestige (as opposed to just ranking) to even think seriously about it, $$$ or no $$$. UVA!