Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA vs. W&M vs. GMU  (Read 3230 times)

natie86

• View Profile
UVA vs. W&M vs. GMU
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »
So, I got into UVA unexpectedly, but I would be paying full in-state tuition (36k). I also got into W&M with a 4k scholarship, so it would only be about 16k a year. GMU, 8k a year scholarship, so total cost would be 10k/year. I'm not planning on a big-time law career, so reputation is probably less important. My LSAT was a lot lower than UVA's 25th percentile so maybe I should just run with my good luck re UVA. On the other hand, I would be surrounded by people who did a lot better than me and I might be a little out of my league so to speak. So my question is...what would you do? Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UVA vs. W&M vs. GMU
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:04:46 AM »
UVA or W&M, depending on how much debt bothers you.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:02:35 AM »
I definately know how it feels to be accepted to a school where you are below the 25th percentile LSAT and feel a little  intimidated by all the 'smarter' kids.  That being said, I wouldn't let it factor too much in your decision, because I think it's a natural tendency to be intimidated by big time schools.

That being said, it all depends on your financial situation.  If you can afford it, UVA is an awesome choice that will give you benefits through out your career and open a lot of doors.  If you don't want to dish out the cash, the other options you listed will still get you where you want to go.  Being so highly esteemed though, I think you will see a great return on your investment to UVA.

Vague, but I hope it helps!

natie86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »
Thanks so much for your help. Yeah, I'd like to think the LSAT doesn't really indicate how well someone will do in law school but a part of me is thinking uhhhhh...I'll be little fish in a big pond which I'm not really used to. On the other hand, I didn't take a prep class, so if I had taken one maybe my score would have been closer to UVA's median (maybe..I doubt it. Hate logic games).
I'm going to W&M ASW this weekend and I've decided if I fall in love with it, I'll go there. If not, then UVA.
Gah!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »
Thanks so much for your help. Yeah, I'd like to think the LSAT doesn't really indicate how well someone will do in law school but a part of me is thinking uhhhhh...I'll be little fish in a big pond which I'm not really used to. On the other hand, I didn't take a prep class, so if I had taken one maybe my score would have been closer to UVA's median (maybe..I doubt it. Hate logic games).
I'm going to W&M ASW this weekend and I've decided if I fall in love with it, I'll go there. If not, then UVA.
Gah!

Yeah, don't worry too much about your LSAT in relation to everyone else's. The LSAT itself isn't a very good indicator of anything and most of the people at UVA probably did prep their way to a higher score, so don't worry about it.

horang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »
UVA

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »
UVA instate tuition is $36K?  What's outstate tution for UVA?

If you're comparing UVA to Duke or Cornell, it's understandable, but the wise choice got to be UVA. 

At the other two choices of yours, you have to be in the top 1/3 or 1/4 to be SURE you will have a job upon graduation.  At UVA, you are almost guaranteed a job, now matter how you did.

natie86

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:19:30 PM »
$36,800 in-state

$41,800 out-of-state.

yeah.....$$$$ even for in-staters, lol. But apparently, UVA is a public school with no state support whatever that means (well, whatever it means, its not good for me)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 08:26:28 PM »
$36,800 in-state

$41,800 out-of-state.

yeah.....$$$$ even for in-staters, lol. But apparently, UVA is a public school with no state support whatever that means (well, whatever it means, its not good for me)

I think Michigan is the same way.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »
$36,800 in-state

$41,800 out-of-state.

I think Michigan is the same way.

I think all three top public law schools are like that, including UVA, UM, and Boalt.   

I wonder how much tuition is for UCLA for instate and out-state.