Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clinics  (Read 502 times)

Kiwiki

• View Profile
Clinics
« on: March 25, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »
The way we apply for clinics here, we rank the top few we are interested in doing.  I'm assuming the rank is important since it seems difficult to get into a clinic period, so I'm thinking strategy...

The clinic that is my actual first choice seems popular since it's a broader criminal defense one.  I don't want to waste my #1 slot on it if I probably won't get in.  But maybe there's a shot since there's an innocence clinic that I think is more popular (maybe more people list that as their #1?), and even if I don't get in I'd like to get my name on the radar so maybe I'll have a better chance next time.

I think I have a much better chance of getting into a different clinic because it's new and more specialized, and my 1L summer job will be in that field.  They only get your resume if it's your #1 rank, though, and it's the resume + ranking that I think would get me in.  I'd do this since my main priority is to get the clinic experience generally, but I'm wary because I don't know if I want to end up in this field as a career (it's just the best 1L job I was offered and I have a mild/moderate interest).  If I do both my 1L summer and a clinic in this field, will I be painting myself into a corner?  My plan is still to do criminal defense if I can as a career.

Anyone been in a similar situation or have advice?  Thanks.

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
Re: Clinics
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:02:27 AM »
Could you talk to the professor in charge of your real first choice (the general crim defense one) and feel him out, see what he's looking for, how many students he thinks will be selected, is any preference given to 3Ls over 2Ls, etc.  This way, you can get a little more info, plus he'll know you're interested since you took the time to come in and chat, so when your resume shows up he'll likely remember your name.

It the professor makes it sound like you don't have much of a shot, like only accepting a couple 2Ls, only accepting GPAs at a certain level, whatever... then take the hint and just do the human trafficking one.

Kiwiki

• View Profile
Re: Clinics
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:28:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I had to apply today, so I decided to just shoot for the more specialized one... I guess I think it's more important to me that I increase the chances of getting into a clinic period than it is to get into my most desired one, and it's just a gut thing that I don't think I'd get into the crim one.

Now to find some other way to get experience/demonstrate interest in crim defense...