Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY and CA bar at the same time?  (Read 4252 times)

sakuran

• View Profile
NY and CA bar at the same time?
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »
Is that even possible?  Anyone can share some tips on how to do it?

BTW, I have all the materials for NY and NY bar exam would be my priority.  So, for CA what other materials should I buy?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: NY and CA bar at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:35:17 PM »
It's not possible.   Every state that uses the Multistate exam administers the exam on the same day, with their state specific day either before or after the multistate.  NY I think usually has their state specific day first, and the multistate second.  The CA bar exam is different in that it is 3 days long, with the Multistate in the middle.  So without being able to sit two exams simultaneously 3000 miles apart, it's impossible to take them both during the same administration.

sakuran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
It's not possible.   Every state that uses the Multistate exam administers the exam on the same day, with their state specific day either before or after the multistate.  NY I think usually has their state specific day first, and the multistate second.  The CA bar exam is different in that it is 3 days long, with the Multistate in the middle.  So without being able to sit two exams simultaneously 3000 miles apart, it's impossible to take them both during the same administration.

Said to hear that.  The idea came to me only because there is someone on this board said he took NY and MA bars at the same time

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:33:33 PM »

But you can do two states at once.... Some set up their exams that way: i.e. NY/NJ and NY/PA.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
NY/PA.

You can't do this, actually. PA is the same day as NY. You can do NJ/PA, which a lot of people do.  (It makes sense because NJ is the secondary market for both NY and PA.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
Ahhh, maybe it was NJ/PA that I had heard.  Either way, I just meant to comment that some states allow for taking two.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »
I suggest that you do it this way: you take CA first. Why? Well, NY grants MBE reciprocity, whereas CA does not. I learned this the hard way. So if you're deadset on taking both in a July-Feb type arrangement, you have two options: 1) you take a full 2 NY bar exam in July, and follow up with a full 3 day CA bar exam in Feb as CA does not grant reciprocity, or 2) you take the full 3 day CA bar exam in July, and take a 1 day NY bar exam in Feb.

A couple of notes:
-I'm fairly certain that taking the MBE twice has taken at least 1 year off my life

-if you're starting out in NY biglaw (as i was ), make sure to double check with your firm before you sign up for CA first. unfortunately for me, i was req'd to take NY first (i.e. it wasn't optional if i wanted to keep my job).

-studying for the CA bar on my own while attempting to keep up with work assignments and billables was a f'ing nightmare. honestly, i don't recommend the process. more specifically, only do this to yourself if you **ABSOLUTELY KNOW** that at some point in the relatively near future you want to use your CA bar membership for practice. don't sign up for this thing because "oh what the hell i studied pretty hard in July and i think that i remember a lot of it and it would probably look pretty good to have CA and NY on the resume" - nope, not worth it.

sakuran

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 01:28:40 PM »
I suggest that you do it this way: you take CA first. Why? Well, NY grants MBE reciprocity, whereas CA does not. I learned this the hard way. So if you're deadset on taking both in a July-Feb type arrangement, you have two options: 1) you take a full 2 NY bar exam in July, and follow up with a full 3 day CA bar exam in Feb as CA does not grant reciprocity, or 2) you take the full 3 day CA bar exam in July, and take a 1 day NY bar exam in Feb.

A couple of notes:
-I'm fairly certain that taking the MBE twice has taken at least 1 year off my life

-if you're starting out in NY biglaw (as i was ), make sure to double check with your firm before you sign up for CA first. unfortunately for me, i was req'd to take NY first (i.e. it wasn't optional if i wanted to keep my job).

-studying for the CA bar on my own while attempting to keep up with work assignments and billables was a f'ing nightmare. honestly, i don't recommend the process. more specifically, only do this to yourself if you **ABSOLUTELY KNOW** that at some point in the relatively near future you want to use your CA bar membership for practice. don't sign up for this thing because "oh what the hell i studied pretty hard in July and i think that i remember a lot of it and it would probably look pretty good to have CA and NY on the resume" - nope, not worth it.

Very detailed post! Thx.

BTW, which one do u think is easier, NY or CA?

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:20:32 AM »
CA is by far the harder of the two