Law School Discussion

Is Iowa a national or regional school?

Is Iowa a national or regional school?
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:25:37 PM »
Their website shows graduates all over the US. I'm sure their top 25% get biglaw like any other tier 1 school. Does anyone know the rest of their class places nationally? They only rank top 12%, top 37%, and everyone else is unranked. Is this a good or bad thing when looking outside the midwest for employment?

CTL

• View Profile
Re: Is Iowa a national or regional school?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:21:17 AM »
Iowa is a regional school like every other tier 1 that isn't a T10.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:42:50 AM »
Totally regional.  You would be making a mistake in going there unless you want to work in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, or Davenport.

US News is criminally misleading when it comes to this school.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:56:00 AM »
Their website shows graduates all over the US. I'm sure their top 25% get biglaw like any other tier 1 school. Does anyone know the rest of their class places nationally? They only rank top 12%, top 37%, and everyone else is unranked. Is this a good or bad thing when looking outside the midwest for employment?

The top 25% of tier 1 schools get biglaw?  I guess it could depend on how you define tier 1 schools and how you define biglaw but in general, I'd say this is way off even during the boom times, let alone in the current economic situation.

ncbkr

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:14:18 AM »
I'm sure their top 25% get biglaw like any other tier 1 school.

Have you seen this link before? It gives you a break out of the top 100 schools ranked by the percentage of graduates at the top law firms. The data is from 2005, so the numbers may have changed slightly. http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

As for their grade reporting policy, it sounds great if you think that you will probably not do that well and would otherwise be near the bottom of the class.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
There only 14 true national schools and some might even argue that Georgetown is really not a national school.

There are three or four semi-national schools and Iowa is not one of them. 

Remarq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »
It's a regional school, but the region is big. You arent stuck in Iowa. Lots of Iowa grads work in MI, WI, MN, IL etc. Iowa will give you plenty of options in the Great Lakes and Midwest.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:28:54 AM »
It's a regional school, but the region is big. You arent stuck in Iowa. Lots of Iowa grads work in MI, WI, MN, IL etc. Iowa will give you plenty of options in the Great Lakes and Midwest.

I hate the midwest... so I guess this chart is misleading? http://www.law.uiowa.edu/careers/stats-alumni.php

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »

I hate the midwest... so I guess this chart is misleading? http://www.law.uiowa.edu/careers/stats-alumni.php

If anything, it's at least not very informative.  It's top category is just 70+.  All of those states, except Iowa, could have just 70 alumni practicing within its jurisdiction(which, with an alumni base of 9,000, could be as low as 0.78%). 

If they showed where they had significant percentages of its graduates, say 1-5%, 5-10%, 10-15%, etc., that would give you a lot more confidence that they place well nationally.  As far as I can tell, that chart is just a sad attempt to game people.

Remarq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 07:18:14 PM »

I don't think it's misleading, but it doesn't tell you a lot really. It doesn't take much for an old school with 9K alums to have 70 in a state. I think people should keep in mind that there is a lot of self selection at Iowa. Most Iowa people love Iowa. They got cheap in-state tuition so they don't need to get a big Chicago or Twin Cities job to survive.