Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

La Verne (80% Scholarship) vs. McGeorge (20% Scholarship)

La Verne
 8 (72.7%)
McGeorge
 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: La Verne (80% Scholarship) vs. McGeorge (20% Scholarship)  (Read 2725 times)

ihateattorneys

• View Profile
Re: La Verne (80% Scholarship) vs. McGeorge (20% Scholarship)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »
This should aid in your rec...

La Verne
Retaining the scholarship is contingent upon maintaining a particular rank in the class.  It has different brackets:

Top 30% of class= Retain 100% of schol
Top 40%         =         75%
Top 50%         =         50%
Top 60%         =         25%
Below           =         Nothing

McGeorge
Retain full amount = Top 30%
Nothing            = Below 30%

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
In this case, ULV for sure.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

ihateattorneys

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
I have a question, what percent of law students in their respective schools score in the top 30%?

southerncallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »
I have the same issue coming up for me.  I want to work in the local DA/Defenders office and go into crim law.  La Verne grads are in the L.A. DA/defenders office as well.  And that was before they were a.b.a. approved.  I likewise have a big scholarship offer from La Verne think it's the best avenue for me.  They also have a mentoring program that I want to take advantage of.  They place you with working graduates as mentors.  Plus graduating with little debt sounds great.  I just plan to work really hard to maintain my scholarship.  Its a small school so I am also looking forward to the personal attention.

ihateattorneys

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
I have the same issue coming up for me.  I want to work in the local DA/Defenders office and go into crim law.  La Verne grads are in the L.A. DA/defenders office as well.  And that was before they were a.b.a. approved.  I likewise have a big scholarship offer from La Verne think it's the best avenue for me.  They also have a mentoring program that I want to take advantage of.  They place you with working graduates as mentors.  Plus graduating with little debt sounds great.  I just plan to work really hard to maintain my scholarship.  Its a small school so I am also looking forward to the personal attention.

How much is your scholarship for? Another plus to a situation like this is that during your first summer you can intern at the DA/PD office since you are close by.  Since you do not have the big name behind you, you go out an dmake your won connections in your furture place of work. 

southerncallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 09:36:12 AM »
I wont go into details.  Whats important, is that it's a degree from an ABA approved school.  Making law review is essential to maintaining my scholarship, but its essential anyway.  There are 3Ls there that have been published in other law journals.  Plus they will coddle their law review students and try to get them the best jobs.  With little debt... the DA/PD office in LA starts at 70k a year.  65k for inland empire.  Why not?  F**k McGeorge, it wont get you any futher here.

southerncallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »
One down side to La Verne.. Prob 50% of those students in the incoming class wont pass the bar on the first shot.  Finding study partners in the first year will be difficult.  Be picky....

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
I just saw my old post here and looking back I kind of wish I would have taken all the money at La Verne knowing what I know now about how irrelevant the rankings are and the fact that La Verne's scholarship program allows you to keep some money even if you finish below the 50% line. I still ended up taking the money at a tier 4 opposed to a LOW tier2 or tier 3 with no money, but GGU's scholarship is 3.0 minimum all or nothing and La Verne's scholarship was definitely the best offer. Hopefully, the OP chose La Verne, because McGeorge would be worth 130k in debt comopared to a debt free degree from La Verne.