Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

La Verne (80% Scholarship) vs. McGeorge (20% Scholarship)

La Verne
 8 (72.7%)
McGeorge
 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: La Verne (80% Scholarship) vs. McGeorge (20% Scholarship)  (Read 2711 times)

ihateattorneys

• View Profile
La Verne (80% Scholarship) vs. McGeorge (20% Scholarship)
« on: March 24, 2009, 01:34:48 PM »
I realize that most of you that will be viewing this thread, have not gone through the process of a legal education and can only speculate as to the appropriate choice. However, I welcome any and all advice.

I have been accepted to UOP McGeorge with a $7500 scholarship. I have also been accepted to La Verne law school with nearly a full ride offer.

To help you with my dilema let me give you some background information as to why these two schools have come into play.

I live 450 miles from McGeorge and would require relocation and rent.
I live 25 miles from La Verne and would be able to live rent free for 3 years.
My sole reason for entering Law School is to work in the local D.A.'s office....NOT "Big Law".
My calculations indicate that I would be approx $130,000 (principle) in debt with a majority of the loans @ 6.5% if I attended McGeorge.
I would most likely be able to pay out of pocket the money I have saved to attend La Verne.

Now I know these schools are miles apart geographically and also in terms of rankings. However, the idea of being $130K in debt has a very sour note to it. I am familiar with at least a few D.A.'s in our local office that have received their JD from LaVerne. La Verne, while obviously the inferior school, would allow me to do what I want with minimal risk. I know McGeorge will open up doors and that its name carries some weight...but is that name worth $130K debt entering the workforce?

I think I have covered all aspects here, I thank all of you in advance for your advice.

-The Dude

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: La Verne (80% Scholarship) vs. McGeorge (20% Scholarship)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:56:34 AM »
I practice law in the Inland Empire.  San Bernardino and Riverside counties are chock full of ULV grads, both bar and bench, including signficant representation in local government, i.e., there are way more than "a few" DDA's in both counties.  If your goal is to be a DDA in So Cal, particularly in the aforementioned counties, your choice is an easy one.  I spend 3-4 mornings a week in court.  As a courtroom lawyer, a "street lawyer," it's all about your skills.  Where you went to school matters not beyond the initial job interview. All law school talk fades away after a few years.  Good luck!  8)     

ihateattorneys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:00:29 AM »
I practice law in the Inland Empire.  San Bernardino and Riverside counties are chock full of ULV grads, both bar and bench, including signficant representation in local government, i.e., there are way more than "a few" DDA's in both counties.  If your goal is to be a DDA in So Cal, particularly in the aforementioned counties, your choice is an easy one.  I spend 3-4 mornings a week in court.  As a courtroom lawyer, a "street lawyer," it's all about your skills.  Where you went to school matters not beyond the initial job interview. All law school talk fades away after a few years.  Good luck!  8)     

Thanks for the advice.  Are you a DDA?  If so how long have you been one and do you enjoy it?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:09:27 AM »
All advice is worthless without knowing the requirements at each school to keep your scholarship.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »
Family law attorney (and ULV grad!).  2-1/2 years.  Love it.  Wouldn't necessarily want to do anything else but, if I were to, it would be criminal.      

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:11:29 AM »
And I've lived it.  My advice is not worthless.   ;)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:15:29 AM »
Your life experience isn't worthless, but your opinion on the situation would be if you didn't have all the facts available to make a decision.  Another poster once mentioned a scholarship requirement of Top 10% to keep the money...if that was the requirement for ULV and McGeorge only required good standing, could you in good conscience recommend ULV particularly when the OP mentions wanting to limit debt?

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 01:40:57 AM »
Your life experience isn't worthless, but your opinion on the situation would be if you didn't have all the facts available to make a decision.  Another poster once mentioned a scholarship requirement of Top 10% to keep the money...if that was the requirement for ULV and McGeorge only required good standing, could you in good conscience recommend ULV particularly when the OP mentions wanting to limit debt?

Yes, because OP estimates he (or she) would come out of McGeorge w/ $130k in debt.  That's insane for a guy (or gal) who wants to work for the DA.  Even if he limped through his first year at ULV at 80% and lost his scholarship thereafter, he'd come out in a much better position financially.   

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 01:47:34 AM »
If OP wants to stay in the IE forever, then yeah, ULV might work.

If OP wants flexibility, then McGeorge.

And also, I wouldn't say the decision isn't as easy when you're talking about the potential for roughly $80K in debt at ULV.

ETA: OP should also check out each school's LRAP (if any) because s/he will probably need its resources at some point.  It could potentially make the difference in debt negligible.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 06:14:07 AM »
Hey I was offered about the same scholarship as you, but I asked the admissions office how many students keep the scholarship for all three years and I was told 30% keep their intial scholarship. Then although you don't lose all of it the amount declines by how well you do in the first year etc.  So it sounds very difficult to keep the full amount.  I don't think I will be going there, but it sounds like for your purposes La Verne would be best to be a D.A. in L.A. I just wouldn't count on the scholarship lasting the whole 3 years.  You may finish in the top 30% I just think it is kind of a bait & switch though.