Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Start date pushed back  (Read 1716 times)

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Start date pushed back
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »
I recently found out that my start date in Fall 2009 has been pushed back to early 2010.  It's possible that I will be able to start earlier if economic conditions improve, but later if things don't start. 

I guess my reason for this post is to figure out how to best make sense of this.  On the one hand, at least they haven't pulled my job completely, but on the other, there's no way to guarantee that they won't do that.  There is a small monthly stipend to be paid to me each month, but I don't want to wait around "forever" (ie past February) to join.  I do really like the firm and want to be there, but obviously there are other considerations (ie "life") to take into account. 

My guess is that others are in a similar situation.  What are your thoughts?  How have you dealt with this?

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Start date pushed back
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »
My thoughts:

1. See if you can get some kind of forbearance on loan repayment.  Lenders don't want to see you default, so they may be willing to work something out with you.

2. Figure out your health care situation.  See if you can get continuing coverage through your school.

3. Try to get some kind of temporary work.  Whether you prioritize money or experience depends on your own financial situation.

4. Develop relationships with lawyers who might be able to help you out if things fall through completely with your law firm.  Doing this now will probably be easier than doing it when you have no job lined up (kind of like the conventional wisdom that it's easier to get a job when you already have a job).

Those are my thoughts.  Good luck to you.

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts. 

I may already have something lined up for the fall, but we'll see. 

I guess my concern is really about whether this may be something that does not improve and I basically have to enter a job market already over-saturated with quality candidates for a competitive job . . .

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 01:34:07 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts. 

I may already have something lined up for the fall, but we'll see. 

I guess my concern is really about whether this may be something that does not improve and I basically have to enter a job market already over-saturated with quality candidates for a competitive job . . .

I think a lot of 3Ls/new associates share this concern, and probably for good reason.  Is probably clear that the private sector market will be saturated with quality candidates like you mentioned. On top of that, it seems like the public sector will be significantly affected as well.  ATL did a story a little while ago about Biglaw associates and newbies flooding the public interest market. http://abovethelaw.com/2009/03/associates_scrambling_for_publ.php