I recently found out that my start date in Fall 2009 has been pushed back to early 2010. It's possible that I will be able to start earlier if economic conditions improve, but later if things don't start.
I guess my reason for this post is to figure out how to best make sense of this. On the one hand, at least they haven't pulled my job completely, but on the other, there's no way to guarantee that they won't do that. There is a small monthly stipend to be paid to me each month, but I don't want to wait around "forever" (ie past February) to join. I do really like the firm and want to be there, but obviously there are other considerations (ie "life") to take into account.
My guess is that others are in a similar situation. What are your thoughts? How have you dealt with this?