Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: summer job ideas  (Read 1613 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
summer job ideas
« on: March 24, 2009, 01:33:47 AM »
I don't go to a top 20, I am not in the top 20 and I don't have a job.  Anyone have any ideas of summer employment opportunities that do not involve a law firm.  Worked at a firm last summer and hated it, dreaded every morning.  I want something "different".  Help! 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: summer job ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:43:13 AM »
are you looking for a law related job, or something completely different?

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 01:16:35 AM »
I am looking for a law related job, yes.  Maybe something like a firm but not so firm-ish.  What kind of public interest opportunities are out there.  I am searching and have applied to project innocence and legal aid and even a "Center for heirs preservation" organization.  I am actually starting to find some things.  Any additional leads will be helpful.  I guess after being thrown into the proverbial fire last summer and having to do the 9-6 work that i was neither trained nor qualified to do has left me worn out.  I want something casual.  I need a break!

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »
Have you checked Idealist.org or PSLawnet.org for summer internships?  A lot of public interest orgs and "private public interest firms" post there. 

Are you interested in any particular specialties?
Fed gov't atty

Kiwiki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »
pslawnet.org is a great database of public interest jobs.  I also recommend looking through the list of organizations and sending them a cover letter + resume even if they don't have a recent job listing--that's how I got my summer job.  There are also non-legal organizations on there, but some may be working on a project that is law-related that could use an intern.  It's worth a shot if you are interested in what the organization is about.

I also found some good ideas by looking through lists of past recipients of my school's summer public interest fellowships.  My law school's website just had pdf files listing the recipients and stating where they worked.  Some of them also had good descriptions of the duties and what the student though about the experience.  That way you also know that the organization has hired from your school before.

And a general internet search can be useful.  If you want to work in Atlanta, for example, google "Atlanta public interest law" or "Atlanta nonprofit" or "Atlanta domestic violence" or "Atlanta low-income legal" or "Atlanta pro bono" and you should find plenty of public interest organizations that could use a law student intern.

It depends on the school, but your Career Services Office might have good leads on public interest positions.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »
hey guys,
Thanks for the leads.  I found a place in my hometown that drafts wills pro-bono and I just sent me resume/coverletter/references to them.  I am really open to ANYTHING, because really I find almost every aspect of the law interesting save for patents.  I will check those out and see what's goin on!  Thanks again!

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:11:09 AM »
hey guys,
Thanks for the leads.  I found a place in my hometown that drafts wills pro-bono and I just sent me resume/coverletter/references to them.  I am really open to ANYTHING, because really I find almost every aspect of the law interesting save for patents.  I will check those out and see what's goin on!  Thanks again!

Have you looked into summer classes (externships) or law-related volunteering? What about the public defender's office?

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:31:05 AM »
Take out your local phone book (or one in an area where you'd like to work), look up legal aid/non-profit orgs and call them. See if you can come in as a volunteer on a trial basis and then try to work your way in for a summer position.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
Take out your local phone book (or one in an area where you'd like to work), look up legal aid/non-profit orgs and call them.

Do phonebooks still exist anymore? I'm sure the internet has all the necessary numbers.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »
Take out your local phone book (or one in an area where you'd like to work), look up legal aid/non-profit orgs and call them.

Do phonebooks still exist anymore? I'm sure the internet has all the necessary numbers.

They do.  I use several to elevate my computer monitor.  ;)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.