Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Howard or Maryland?  (Read 1680 times)

msjaeatlaw

• I can accept failure. But i can't accept not tryin
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MSJAEATLAW
    • View Profile
    • Email
Howard or Maryland?
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »
I'm torn between Howard and Maryland. I've always wanted to go to Howard for the environment and concentration in civil rights law, plus the network of people that it provides and job opportunities for the student body. Its also extremely inexpensive and I've heard great things about it. Maryland also accepted me and its a tier one school, its close to home and its a really good school and it also has really good programs. So I don't know what to dooooo!!!!!! What do you think??
INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE ANYWHERE

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Re: Howard or Maryland?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:24:41 PM »
There is actually somebody else going through the exact dilema I am going throughlol. I dont think you can go wrong either ways. For me the major factor was that I wanted to work in DC market and Howard has better numbers in D.C. Even "majorer" lol factor was finance. It would be a lot cheaper for me to attend Howard. I always wanted to go to Maryland and I turned down other peer schools immediately. I was convinced my decision was made (this was at begining of jan when I recieved my UMD offer lol) but after doing a lot of research on Howard, I realized its not just another lower Tier school. Plus the historical significance is a plus to me since I am AA male. I dont think you can go wrong picking either or. I know its a very difficult decision lol, it took me 3 4 months, tryin to come to a decision. Even now I am not 100% sure. Im glad to run into somebody who feels my pain lol

P.S I cant even imagine how much more difficult it will be to pick one of those schools if you are a resident of Maryland (as that will make tutition at UMD very cheap)
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

msjaeatlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »
So what did you end up choosing? Howard or UMD?

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »

In this situation, I would pick Howard. Howard is one of the most underrated schools in the country, and you will have as many career opportunities coming out of there as you would coming out of many tier one schools.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »
I am 98% leaning Howard, but I am leaving that 2% because when I started I wanted to go UMD ever since I can remember before I even knew what their rankings and etc was lol. Howard is really impressive, I visited both schools. UMD looked more efficent as far as admin wise. They were sharp and on point. I didnt get to see any UMD students or sit in class though. Howard,  The students were all great and friendly, the professor whom I sat in class with was awesome, and seeing all those pictures of past civil rights leaders on the wall kind of catches you off guard even if you are not that type. I just felt comfortable at Howard. Maybe its because I grew up around D.C area most of my life.I dont know. But I am 98% leaning towards Howard, I will leave that 2% open until April comes around and I have to make the deposit lol. we still got some time lol

Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »
no brainer: Howard.
YLS c/o 2009

msjaeatlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »
Yah!!! ;D I'm attracted to howard for its legacy and commitment to creating social engineers, but my parents and a lot of other people are really pushing UMD because its such a good school. Howard has been my number one for the past 1 plus and i'm only now really considering Maryland cuz they accepted me. I've sat in on classes at both schools and the Howard atmosphere was the most desirable (people are friendly, feels like a family) and UMD the environment was not bad, it was diverse, similar to UMD College Park, but the classes were dry and boring! lol. So I honestly am unsure until April 15  :-\ I wish i got some money from one of them to make the decision easier!!!

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »
Yah!!! ;D I'm attracted to howard for its legacy and commitment to creating social engineers, but my parents and a lot of other people are really pushing UMD because its such a good school. Howard has been my number one for the past 1 plus and i'm only now really considering Maryland cuz they accepted me. I've sat in on classes at both schools and the Howard atmosphere was the most desirable (people are friendly, feels like a family) and UMD the environment was not bad, it was diverse, similar to UMD College Park, but the classes were dry and boring! lol. So I honestly am unsure until April 15  :-\ I wish i got some money from one of them to make the decision easier!!!

Well, when dealing with Howard, the rankings are pretty useless. Howard will give you access to opportunities that kids at Maryland dream of. Of course, you have to graduate pretty high in your class, but it is doable. Also, because Howard is cheaper, it is the most cost effective choice.

A word of caution: Howard may have seemed more friendly and such, but that could just be a result of the day you visited or the classes you attended. Most law classes are dry and boring. Everyone says "visit and see which one you like." I always say, look at your opportunities (i.e., what opportunities will you have after graduation and what your debt load will be). Balance those two factors and make a decision.
YLS c/o 2009

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 11:48:08 PM »

Well, when dealing with Howard, the rankings are pretty useless. Howard will give you access to opportunities that kids at Maryland dream of. Of course, you have to graduate pretty high in your class, but it is doable. Also, because Howard is cheaper, it is the most cost effective choice.

A word of caution: Howard may have seemed more friendly and such, but that could just be a result of the day you visited or the classes you attended. Most law classes are dry and boring. Everyone says "visit and see which one you like." I always say, look at your opportunities (i.e., what opportunities will you have after graduation and what your debt load will be). Balance those two factors and make a decision.

I totally agree that Howard is just one of those schools that can not be judged by rankings. Its strong faculty, legacy and location will give you many possibilities especially when you consider the price. UMD is a pretty good school but I don't believe it offers the same education as Howard.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:48:45 PM »
Maryland.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.